FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How To: Brake System OverHaul

My VIN:    011613

Club(s):   (DCF)

How To: Brake System OverHaul

This video begins a four part series which will consist of a complete brake renovation on this 1982 Delorean. All of the calipers will be rebuilt, the master cylinder will be replaced, though I'd like to take the opportunity to quickly swap out my fuel sender as it will be in easy reach at the time.

The fluid itself doesn't look too bad as Elvis and I had done a flush not too long ago. As the panels come off I swap the sending unit with a new one from DeloreanGo. Once that was done, back to the brakes, the project kicks off with the emptying and removal of the master cylinder. I couldn't find a rebuild kit so I bought a replacement. Deloreango had one with the same ratio. The reservoir is cleaned and reused. I had found the low fluid switch didnt work but only required the connector be cleaned.

This first wheel I was working on was significantly dirtier and the car pulled to the left, a suspect stuck caliper. Removal of the caliper begins carefully loosening bolts. On the bench the caliper is then disassembled. Test confirms one of the two pistons was stuck. Upon removal the condition of the fluid in the calipers was much worse than that of the reservoir as expected. The pistons were in sad shape.

The calipers cleaned up nice but ill need to order some parts to continue.

Jordan 011613

"CVM CATAPVLTAE PROSCRIPTAE ERVNT TVM SOLI PROSCRIPT CATAPVLTAS HABEBVNT!!"

In the second part of the overhaul series we continue with the assembly of the front driver side caliper with the new parts that had arrived. This included new EBC pads as well. The Flex lines were replaced as well and put up a fight being removed from the frame and bracket.

The angle drive bracket was broken so I took it to the shop to weld up before installation. The wheel also received a long over due cleaning which will be used as an indication of uneven brake wear.

The second caliper is removed and disassembled just like the first. It was in better condition.

The next chapter will get into the rear brakes.

Jordan 011613

Now into the third chapter in the brake system overhaul. We've left off with the completion of work on the front brakes as well as new flex lines up front. Wheels cleaned and reinstalled. The back brakes now begin which are more complicated firstly because of the added E-brake assembly as well as less room to work due to the engine and transmission. The E-brake is tested before disassembly begins. The E-brake comes out first. Followed by the actual brake caliper.

The flex lines in the rear prove to be more challenging than the front owing itself to access and a terrible mount. New hoses went right in awaiting completion of the caliper work which is on the bench with loosing oil soaking for the evening. The caliper was split and disassembled for cleaning and inspection. he caliper looked to be in good condition considering its age.

The ebrake now completely de-greased was also in good condition, one small rust area treated. The ebrake is disassembled for an internal inspection and regreased. The calipers were also cleaned and degreased.

The next chapter will get into the reassembly rear brakes.

Jordan 011613

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Onto the final chapter in the brake overhaul we leave off with the parts arrival for the rear calipers. With that the calipers are reassembled with the new parts and de-greased bolts torques to about 32 ft/lbs. The brake pads are cleaned up and reused. The caliper, rigid line and e-brake will all be reinstalled into the car. The ebrake lock washer is not reused. When connection the ebrake cable is accidentally pushed it inward and dislodged it from the handle. This is correctable from under the drivers seat but requires extra time and long tools to re-seat. The ebrake is then initially configured.
    With that the first wheel is done, the other side is done the same way.

The rigid line on the passenger side is very difficult to reach to replace. It was probably the most difficult task in this whole project. With the second wheel done the reservoir is finally installed into the car. Bleeding is then started from the rear passenger brake working closer to the master cylinder.

The brakes were then tested and then brought to the shop for a close examination on the lift. While on the lift the E-brakes were set up properly. This concluded the Brakes system overhaul on this 82 delorean.

Jordan 011613