FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Door grab handle recovering

Door grab handle recovering

Has anyone here recovered their door grab handles at all? Mine are torn due to the pull straps and just wondering what routes people have gone to fix, besides replacing them with new.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Has anyone here recovered their door grab handles at all? Mine are torn due to the pull straps and just wondering what routes people have gone to fix, besides replacing them with new.
    Yeah, I'd like to do this with a black one. I'm upgrading the pulls on the doors so this doesn't happen again, and I do have some excellent condition grey handles I'm holding onto, but I'm interested in this.

Invoking Steve Bano here.

My VIN:    03572

One of these days, I was thinking of 3D printing the door pulls because I think I can design the inside structure to reduce the weight. You could print in black resin and not have to cover it.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to do this with a black one. I'm upgrading the pulls on the doors so this doesn't happen again, and I do have some excellent condition grey handles I'm holding onto, but I'm interested in this.

Invoking Steve Bano here.
    I tried recovering them, but they just didn't look right as it didn't have that "leather" look with the zebra stripe grain the OEM have. In the end I gave up on recovering them as it would have taken a bit to stich it correctly and glue it in place.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    I tried recovering them, but they just didn't look right as it didn't have that "leather" look with the zebra stripe grain the OEM have. In the end I gave up on recovering them as it would have taken a bit to stich it correctly and glue it in place.
    I'd be open to a trade - one of my gray good ones for a nice driver side black one if someone has a spare.

My VIN:    16563

I had mine recovered in the same Nappa leather as the rest of my interior. I think they look amazing,
    Attached Images
    1983 Delorean-auto, black/gray int. 38k miles