FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery won't hold charge

Battery won't hold charge

So I took my blower motor out to see why it was so loud. After I put it all back together the battery was dead. Now when I jump start it, it stalls out with a completely dead battery shortly after removing the cables. Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks, Jason

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by L3V3L1 View Post
    So I took my blower motor out to see why it was so loud. After I put it all back together the battery was dead. Now when I jump start it, it stalls out with a completely dead battery shortly after removing the cables. Can anyone help me out?
    Thanks, Jason
    Does the Battery light come on when the key is in the run position, engine not running?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Does the Battery light come on when the key is in the run position, engine not running?
    Yes it does

Should of also asked if the light currently goes out while is running.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Should of also asked if the light currently goes out while is running.
    I'll have to check tomorrow, what would it mean if it does go out while running?

I'll have to check tomorrow, what would it mean if it does go out while running?
    That would probably mean that the alternator is putting out but it is not getting power to the D's battery, or the D's battery will not take a charge.

If it does go out, I would try putting the other battery in the D, measure its voltage, start the engine and measure the voltage again (at and well above idle). Then go from there...

My VIN:    3937

Take the battery out of the car and charge it overnight. Then try it in the car tomorrow.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

So I thought overnight slow charge did the trick. But now the battery light never comes on. I also need to rev the engine one time up to 2500 to get the volts up above 12. My alternator has the 2 bunches of brown wires and one green wire. Is the green wire the one to ground, to check the battery light circuit?IMG_20220703_180754686.jpg

My VIN:    3937

So I thought overnight slow charge did the trick. But now the battery light never comes on. I also need to rev the engine one time up to 2500 to get the volts up above 12. My alternator has the 2 bunches of brown wires and one green wire. Is the green wire the one to ground, to check the battery light circuit?IMG_20220703_180754686.jpg
    You're going to need to dig into the instrument cluster and check/replace that bulb. You need to see it come on when you turn the key to accessories. It should still come on regardless of what is going on back at the alternator. If it's not coming on, fix that first.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

So I thought overnight slow charge did the trick. But now the battery light never comes on. I also need to rev the engine one time up to 2500 to get the volts up above 12. My alternator has the 2 bunches of brown wires and one green wire. Is the green wire the one to ground, to check the battery light circuit?
    There should be a brown with yellow stripe wire at the alternator. It comes from the battery light bulb (12v, Fuse 5). If you ground it while disconnected (Key in Run), the light should come on.

How far, "above 12 volts"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast