FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Service in Texas

Service in Texas

So I popped my alternator/water pump belt Monday night. I thought I would stretch my mechanical abilities and replace them. Picked up the belts and decided to give the water pump a spin. It is making a faint squeaking noise which leads me to believe that it is on the way out. After reading, I've determined that the water pump replacement is definitely outside of my skillset. I talked to DeLorean Houston today and they said they are a YEAR OUT for service. I've called around to couple local shops in San Antonio and they all shudder when I say DeLorean. Checking to see if you all know anyone in or around San Antonio that you trust with service. Thanks in advance!

My VIN:    #4595

Try checking with local Volvo mechanics. They should be able to do this type of job pretty easily if they are familiar with PRVs at all (and any older Volvo guy should be).

My VIN:    2245

What part of it makes you not want to do the job yourself?

My VIN:    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevino08 View Post
    So I popped my alternator/water pump belt Monday night. I thought I would stretch my mechanical abilities and replace them. Picked up the belts and decided to give the water pump a spin. It is making a faint squeaking noise which leads me to believe that it is on the way out. After reading, I've determined that the water pump replacement is definitely outside of my skillset. I talked to DeLorean Houston today and they said they are a YEAR OUT for service. I've called around to couple local shops in San Antonio and they all shudder when I say DeLorean. Checking to see if you all know anyone in or around San Antonio that you trust with service. Thanks in advance!
    The single issue I have of DeLorean World 1995 shows exactly how to do this!

But yes, I can see it would be overwhelming to a novice mechanic. It's not particularly difficult per se (unless you have to deal with stuck bolts), but there's a whole bunch of stuff you'd need to pull off to get
    to it, and in the valley there might end up being other things to address.

My recommendation is to find someone local to help you out - should only take a couple of hours if there are no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by bueller View Post
    Try checking with local Volvo mechanics. They should be able to do this type of job pretty easily if they are familiar with PRVs at all (and any older Volvo guy should be).
    This was extremely helpful. I found a shop that was willing to take a look. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    What part of it makes you not want to do the job yourself?
    The whole pulling the top half of the engine off.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    The single issue I have of DeLorean World 1995 shows exactly how to do this!

But yes, I can see it would be overwhelming to a novice mechanic. It's not particularly difficult per se (unless you have to deal with stuck bolts), but there's a whole bunch of stuff you'd need to pull off to get
    to it, and in the valley there might end up being other things to address.

My recommendation is to find someone local to help you out - should only take a couple of hours if there are no issues.
    I am little nervous that there are certain tolerances or precise positions on the parts that are on the manifold that I may not put back exactly right. Of course the likelihood of breaking bolts gives me some anxiety as well. I am certain that I could get things apart but worse case scenario if I had to get it to a mechanic, they would not have the benefit of the disassembly to give them insight for the reassembly.

In my searches I haven't come across a comprehensive enough tutorial of the waterpump replacement either. I have done some minor wrenching but nothing where tolerances were important. If you all think it is something that a novice could handle without potential for damage, I'd welcome any instructions. I just ordered the parts today so I have a few days to decide.

In my searches I haven't come across a comprehensive enough tutorial of the waterpump replacement either. I have done some minor wrenching but nothing where tolerances were important. If you all think it is something that a novice could handle without potential for damage, I'd welcome any instructions. I just ordered the parts today so I have a few days to decide.
    I honestly don't think there's much critical in terms of tolerances. Everything fits together pretty well and there's room for play in some pieces. Yes, some bolts ought to be torqued properly
    (and you should be replacing various bolts anyway), but that's easy once you know how.

I don't know exactly what you might be looking at in terms of guides, but I'm happy to comment on those. Probably you will be replacing the
    hose from the pump to the heater pipe. If you have the replace the heater pipe too (which often corrodes), then it's a bigger deal. You'll be wanting to
    replace the 6 manifold O-rings too, which should come in a service kit with new bolts from a vendor, as well as W-Pipe gaskets.

Reassembly can be frustrating with the pipe of agony though; just take your time. There's not much you can really screw up.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    I honestly don't think there's much critical in terms of tolerances. Everything fits together pretty well and there's room for play in some pieces. Yes, some bolts ought to be torqued properly
    (and you should be replacing various bolts anyway), but that's easy once you know how.

I don't know exactly what you might be looking at in terms of guides, but I'm happy to comment on those. Probably you will be replacing the
    hose from the pump to the heater pipe. If you have the replace the heater pipe too (which often corrodes), then it's a bigger deal. You'll be wanting to
    replace the 6 manifold O-rings too, which should come in a service kit with new bolts from a vendor, as well as W-Pipe gaskets.

Reassembly can be frustrating with the pipe of agony though; just take your time. There's not much you can really screw up.
    Question - are any special tools needed? I have wide variety and not opposed to buying some just didn't want to need to a lot of specialty tools.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you do not have at least *some* experience doing automotive work and have some hand tools, it is probably best to not start with this job. Too many things can go wrong, especially breaking bolts. You have to be careful taking things apart and even an experienced mechanic will break bolts. Removing a broken bolt is not easy, especially for a novice. There are a lot of parts to remove and if you make a mistake you have to undo a lot to get back in to fix it. If you have a buddy that can help you then maybe you could consider doing it if your buddy has some experience. Or maybe a fellow Delorean owner if there is one nearby with some experience. Otherwise a Volvo dealer or an independent Volvo mechanic is the way to go. There are a lot of "while you are in there" things to do too that can turn this into a big job.
    David Teitelbaum

Question - are any special tools needed? I have wide variety and not opposed to buying some just didn't want to need to a lot of specialty tools.
    Maybe, but you might have everything. A lot of my DeLorean work has ended up in running out to get tools. You'll need metric sockets, wrenches, wobble extensions and a torque
    wrench. That might be it.

I don't know why David T thinks it's a good idea to scare you off this; but he's not really offering any specific advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you do not have at least *some* experience doing automotive work and have some hand tools, it is probably best to not start with this job. Too many things can go wrong, especially breaking bolts. You have to be careful taking things apart and even an experienced mechanic will break bolts. Removing a broken bolt is not easy, especially for a novice. There are a lot of parts to remove and if you make a mistake you have to undo a lot to get back in to fix it. If you have a buddy that can help you then maybe you could consider doing it if your buddy has some experience. Or maybe a fellow Delorean owner if there is one nearby with some experience. Otherwise a Volvo dealer or an independent Volvo mechanic is the way to go. There are a lot of "while you are in there" things to do too that can turn this into a big job.
    Also, you could have a heart attack. I mean, a lot of things can go wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast