FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Antique or normal plates

My VIN:    10777

Antique or normal plates

Can any fellow VA owners let me know what they recommend, antique or normal plates?

Just curious which you feel is better.

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

At least for Washington State "Collector Vehicle" plates means we don't pay yearly tabs - but are supposed to limit miles (not an issue for me).

We also have the Option for a true "Vintage Plate", which means you find a period-correct old license plate and you can register and use that plate as your "Collector Vehicle" plate. that's much cooler and what i did. I even found a Vintage collectors plate (with 80's Billy Crystal reference) and 1988 tabs. it's awesome.

IMG_2861.jpg

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

In PA if you have a classic or antique plate, then you are limited to 4 or 5 letter/number combination. I didn't want to do that. Fortunately, although all cars
    here I think need yearly inspection, I'm still emissions exempt and no front plate required.

My VIN:    5312

Holy hell a new D owner in Virginia Beach? dude we gotto meet pm me. Also antique is the way to go! That i know of theres me and 2 other owners here. We do lunches, although one sold his car but has another in the works.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

In Florida, it’s slightly less expensive. But I think it really comes down to if you like the plate. I have the antique plate that is all purple. I’m not really happy with it. I think the next time it comes up, I will go with the palm trees and sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Z View Post
    Can any fellow VA owners let me know what they recommend, antique or normal plates?

Just curious which you feel is better.
    Hello fellow VB owner! I’ve done it both ways:

Regular plates will require yearly State inspections for safety related items. The car is treated as a “normal” car. I chose this route for my daily driver DeLorean.

Antique plates will not require any State inspections, but you must self-certify that the car is kept in legal compliance with applicable laws for vehicle safety. There are also limits on how often and how far you can drive a car with antique plates. Details are on the DMV website. I chose this route for my seldom- driven Lotus.
    Last edited by CFI; 07-13-2022 at 04:12 PM.

My VIN:    10777

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Hello fellow VB owner! I’ve done it both ways:

Regular plates will require yearly State inspections for safety related items. The car is treated as a “normal” car. I chose this route for my daily driver DeLorean.

Antique plates will not require any State inspections, but you must self-certify that the car is kept in legal compliance with applicable laws for vehicle safety. There are also limits on how often and how far you can drive a car with antique plates. Details are on the DMV website. I chose this route for my seldom- driven Lotus.
    Do you have to pay the personal property tax on your DeLorean?

And hello! I've been wanting to get one realistically since 2010 so it's been a long wait but I'm pumped. It's at DMC Florida getting any kinks out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Z View Post
    Do you have to pay the personal property tax on your DeLorean?

And hello! I've been wanting to get one realistically since 2010 so it's been a long wait but I'm pumped. It's at DMC Florida getting any kinks out.
    I’m pretty sure I pay property taxes on all of my cars, but I don’t remember off the top of my head. I travel a lot so my wife usually makes sure the bills get paid. I don’t think the DMV places a high value on the DeLorean anyway.
    Last edited by CFI; 07-14-2022 at 08:04 PM.

My VIN:    5312

Cars registered as antiques in VA do NOT pay personal property tax. If they do end up sending you a personal property tax bill call them. This has been a law since 2006
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    Cars registered as antiques in VA do NOT pay personal property tax. If they do end up sending you a personal property tax bill call them. This has been a law since 2006
    Thanks. I couldn’t remember if I had to pay for my Lotus or not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast