FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29

Thread: VIN 11596 Frame Swap - a rolling frame-off restoration

I went down this rabbit hole a bit when I was rebuilding my dizzy but I decided to keep it stock for now. That way I can have a good comparison (like you did) of stock vs. EU spec.

Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    11596

Not a lot to report these days - it's been an interesting spring in Kansas City with a few fantastic days bookended by rain and storms. The weather has dashed some hopes of car shows on the weekends but there is a really good cars and coffee coming up tomorrow that I will definitely be going to!

What's new?

First of all, I can confirm that the efforts to switch to the Euro distributor are probably not worth the time and expense. There might be a slight advantage in power but it's not noticeable enough and I am still waffling back and forth between 87 and 91 octane trying to see if pinging is an issue with the increased advance. There is a noise I am trying to track down at full throttle that is only present while driving and in gear that sounds kind of like a bathtub drain. I hear this especially in 2nd gear and 3rd gear at around 2500 RPM and then giving full throttle. It could be something rattling inside the exhaust , but it also sort of sounds like pinging but I don't have enough experience to be sure. It does NOT make this noise when parked and transmission in neutral.

Second, I bought a small 3 oz grease gun and some Lucas Red 'N Tacky 3 oz cartridges so I could grease my upper and lower ball joints. I have Amsteer UK joints with zerks on them and I thought it would be good to see if I can get more grease in them. To my surprise, both were pretty low, especially the lower ball joints. They certainly have not been leaking, but they don't have much from the factory. I filled them up until a little leaked out and then wiped them off. Glad I got the gun, and glad I got more grease inside.

I'm also getting ready for a multi-day road trip in the DeLorean where I will be driving about 8 hours to Kentucky for a weekend with other owners. So, I gave the car a little safety inspection last weekend and found most of my fuel tank cover plate bolts were a little loose. I snugged them all up, and if I find they are loose again, I will probably just put star washers under them for the future.

I will bring some tools with me so I wanted to get a soft zippered tool bag. Harbor Freight had exactly the right thing - a 15 inch long bag with heavy zipper for only $6.99!

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-s...ets-61469.html

I also pulled out my Colgan Custom bra which I have not taken out of the storage bag in at least a decade. I was glad to see there was no mildew on it. I've had it fit to the front of the car for the last week and I'm debating driving to KY with it on. It would certainly help keep the bug guts off the car!

Lastly, I modified a Land Rover steering wheel puller to work with the DeLorean steering wheel. I don't need to take the wheel off for any reason right now but I don't really like the air chisel process. I had to grind down the top left corner so it wouldn't hit the inside of the non-symmetrical DeLorean wheel. I tested it and it works great.

PXL_20240505_165657427.jpg

PXL_20240508_162656312 (1).jpg

PXL_20240505_223000672.jpg
    Last edited by 82DMC12; 05-10-2024 at 11:43 AM.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Last week I embarked on the longest road trip I have taken with my DeLorean since at least 2006 (DCS Pheasant Run). I made a round trip of over 1,500 miles from Kansas City to Kentucky Bourbon Country for an owner event visiting the National Corvette Museum, Maker's Mark Distillery and others, Mammoth Cave National Park, and other local hot spots and restaurants. We had a great gang of about 12 cars plus some owners without their DeLoreans present.

My car performed beautifully, and comfortably, with only two issues popping up -

1. Wiper arm problem - I hit heavy rain in Missouri for a few minutes and as the rain tapered off my wipers started to chatter really badly on the windshield. In fact they chattered enough where they loosened the nut that holds the arm on for the driver side so the arm was loose on the motor stud. I solved this at a hardware store by replacing my relatively new Bosch beam wipers with basic Trico blades (don't think the beams put the right pressure on the window), adding Rain-X to the glass, and installing a new M8 nut with a star washer attached to it. That solved that, and I got to test it the next day in more driving rain.
    2. Minor Air Conditioning problem - on an overcast day in rain (humid, so needed the AC on but low outside ambient temp) my A/C would gradually have less air volume for a given fan speed. I assumed I was experiencing evaporator frost-up. When I parked at the destination, sure enough my accumulator had frost on it. On the drive back home (9 hours) even though it was hot out I had to turn the mode switch to Vent for about 10 minutes every two hours to defrost the evaporator and get my air speed back up. High ambient temp on the way home did not allow the accumulator to frost but you could tell it was frosting inside the HVAC box.

When I got home I put gauges on it and found my charge and operating pressures to be correct but the low pressure switch wasn't cutting out until about 15 PSI. Of course that would cause the compressor to cycle less often, if at all, given certain ambient temps and steady engine speed.

I have it adjusted now to 20 PSI which, so far, is working great and still giving 38F vent temps. I would have to take a long road trip to really test it again though.

It was great to get so much drive time in a variety of challenging conditions and see that my car is up to the demands of a long trip. My engine temp held steady, only going up a needle width in stop and go interstate traffic in St. Louis under 90 degree sunlight. No rain intrusion into the car, and no issues with any other systems.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

I've been traveling a lot lately for work so I haven't had much time to even drive the DeLorean, so I decided it was time to show the daily driver some love. I have a 2019 Q5 which just rolled over 60K miles. Up until now I've had the dealership do all the service and maintenance on it. I have always believed that while a car is under warranty, the dealer should be responsible for everything - this has played in my favor regarding out-of-warranty work and a better deal when trading in. Anyway, it was time for an oil change, air filter, cabin air filter, rear wiper, brake fluid flush, and brake pads all around.

Fortunately my Motive power bleeder works for both Audi and DeLorean using the same master cylinder adapter! Very cool! I changed the brake pads but not the discs because the big vented discs were still good and straight and the pads had not damaged the surface yet.

Then, I had also been tracking how my tires are wearing down early. At 30K I replaced the original tires with Continental Control Contact Sport SRS+ tires at Discount Tire. They were supposed to have a 50K tread warranty. By 60K, after only 30K of use and regular rotations, they were just about toast. I went in to Discount Tire to see how the warranty process works and what they can do to help me out. Based on time and mileage they gave me a $380 credit towards new tires. Nice! I ended up getting the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires instead which have a 60K warranty. 30 minutes later I was out the door with new tires installed.

After that, it was time for a detail. I gave it a good wash, clay bar treatment, and then strapped on my Griot's G9 random orbital with One Step Sealant followed by a good coating of Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. I park outside most of the time now (garage is full of DeLorean and kid's toys) so I take paint protection seriously. It's always a lot of work but damn it looks good for a few days!

2019-08-18 06.20.42 1.jpg
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

OK, back to DeLorean stuff.

This weekend I swapped out my side marker LED's for a different set from superbrightLED. The marker lights I had were OK but not too bright. The new ones came from the LED Compatibility List posted on the Tennessee DeLorean Club's website.

https://tn-dmc.com/downloads

I smeared the bulbs contact surfaces with dielectric grease before installation and sealed the bulb holder to the back of the lens using clear silicone. I had already replaced the sockets and wiring a couple years ago so they were in great, clean shape. I also went around all the other lights and gave them a dielectric grease treatment too.

The difference is clear:

445356369_821632389415167_3640171733688614096_n.jpg

436446872_469450865444549_2836670335253393292_n.jpg
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I've been traveling a lot lately for work so I haven't had much time to even drive the DeLorean, so I decided it was time to show the daily driver some love. I have a 2019 Q5 which just rolled over 60K miles. Up until now I've had the dealership do all the service and maintenance on it. I have always believed that while a car is under warranty, the dealer should be responsible for everything - this has played in my favor regarding out-of-warranty work and a better deal when trading in. Anyway, it was time for an oil change, air filter, cabin air filter, rear wiper, brake fluid flush, and brake pads all around.

Fortunately my Motive power bleeder works for both Audi and DeLorean using the same master cylinder adapter! Very cool! I changed the brake pads but not the discs because the big vented discs were still good and straight and the pads had not damaged the surface yet.

Then, I had also been tracking how my tires are wearing down early. At 30K I replaced the original tires with Continental Control Contact Sport SRS+ tires at Discount Tire. They were supposed to have a 50K tread warranty. By 60K, after only 30K of use and regular rotations, they were just about toast. I went in to Discount Tire to see how the warranty process works and what they can do to help me out. Based on time and mileage they gave me a $380 credit towards new tires. Nice! I ended up getting the Michelin CrossClimate2 tires instead which have a 60K warranty. 30 minutes later I was out the door with new tires installed.

After that, it was time for a detail. I gave it a good wash, clay bar treatment, and then strapped on my Griot's G9 random orbital with One Step Sealant followed by a good coating of Collinite 845 Insulator Wax. I park outside most of the time now (garage is full of DeLorean and kid's toys) so I take paint protection seriously. It's always a lot of work but damn it looks good for a few days!

Nice.
    The simarilties between us are funny. Our grocery getter is a 2018 VW Tiguan. Aka "I could quite afford an Audi." Lol. It's is the SEL model so that's something.
    80k on it. Did pad and rotors last year. We just spent the weekend in Newport RI and that place is overrun with European suvs for some reason. As a joke I started saying "Tiguan" everytime I saw one. We never went more than 10 mins without seeing one.
    I was going to post a picture of it but after scrolling through thousands of pictures I gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post

Took a picture of the Guana.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29