FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: VIN 11596 Frame Swap - a rolling frame-off restoration

My VIN:    11596

I completed the hood seal install this weekend and let me say it is a trial of patience and something that absolutely cannot be rushed. It actually took me about two full days to install the seal because you can only lay down about six inches at a time on the straight runs, and as little half an inch at a time while making corners - and there are eight corners with the fuel flap cut out!

I watched an excellent video by DMCH on their Knowledgebase page that showed how to lay down the seal and it especially stressed the importance of patience and allowing for adequate flash and set time before doing the next short section. The advice on doing the corners was really helpful and key to my own success with this. I'm glad I watched the video before starting.

Each section basically goes like this:

Since the hood was freshly painted, I simply cleaned both the hood application area and the underside of the seal with an alcohol wipe and let it dry before continuing. As I mentioned, don't try to do more than 6 inches at a time in the straight parts. I first laid the seal down and masked off the application area with blue painter tape, then set the seal aside and laid a second piece of tape about 3mm inward where the first one ended. This kept me from getting adhesive too close to the edge of the seal which would be unsightly. I then put a piece of tape down where I want the application to end (up to six inches down the hood). Then I laid the seal down again and wrapped another piece of tape on the seal in the same spot so that I knew where to stop applying adhesive.

I started on the passenger side halfway down the hood and laid a narrow bead of Permatex weatherstripping adhesive to both the hood and the seal, up to the tape stops, then used a flux brush (36 of them for $3 at Harbor Freight!) and spread the adhesive flat. I then waited five minutes (timer on my phone) before I peeled the masking tape off and then laid down the seal. I held it flat with my hands for a few seconds and then used a piece of very heavy cardboard (corner protection pieces from a heavy duty box) along with two ratcheting clamps to hold the seal in place. I then set another timer for 20 minutes. After that time the adhestive has set pretty well and I can repeat this doing another short section. I put some thick foam on my clamp jaws so they won't mar the top of the hood.

At the corners, you have to start to the turn the seal in small increments around the corner, no more than 1 inch of seal at a time, and every lay requires another set of tape, 5 minutes flash, and 20 minutes bond. It takes four to five incremental turns to round a corner, after which I laid a shop towel and then a brick on the seal to keep the corner flat for a couple more hours as I worked on the next straight section.

So, it just takes a lot of time, patience, and attention to detail but the seal can be installed this way with a nice permanent hold.

PXL_20240309_194028960.jpg
    Here you can see the 6-inch section taped off with a piece of tape showing me where to stop along with another matching piece of tape on the seal. That way I don't spread too much adhesive on one side or the other.

PXL_20240310_010851320.jpgPXL_20240309_173743925.jpg
    PXL_20240309_193534789.jpg

I used these flux brushes to spread the adhesive which worked really well. Just toss em as they get stiff. Next two pictures are of the clamps with foam on the underside holding down the stiff cardboard to help the seal stay in place while bonding.

I then used these bricks to hold the corner down for a couple hours while continuing along the hood.

PXL_20240309_231826564.jpg
    Voila! An example of a perfectly-formed corner, which, as I said, takes at least two hours to slowly form and bond.
    Attached Images
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

PXL_20240310_190132029.jpg

I replaced this section of carpet with an NOS piece from DMCH. Unfortunately I got a bit too close with the heat gun and the original piece of carpet didn't like that. So, the new piece of carpet came looking 100% mint and all I had to do was remove the old adhesive from the hood with acetone, mask it off so I don't get overspray, then spray both the hood and underside of the carpet with 3M 90 spray adhesive. Two coats per side, let flash for 2 minutes, then press together. Perfect!

PXL_20240311_002710580.jpg
    Here it is! It really turned out perfect! You can see the seam on the passenger side where the seal ends meet. I am going to get some Loctite leather and fabric clear glue which dries flexible to completely water-proof the trunk.

PXL_20240311_044732568 (1).jpg

While adjusting the hood alignment, I decided to tackle the hood height at the latch which has always stuck up just a bit too far. After lowering the hood stops and lowering the latch as far as it goes, it was clear the latch needs to go down further than adjustment allows. Very common issue, all you have to do is use a hand file and file down the mounting slots to get another 1/8" of drop for the black bracket that attaches to the body (which the gold latch itself is screws onto). Took a bit of trial and error but in the end it worked out great. I got the hood flush with the fenders and then turned the bump stops up a couple turns into the hood which will keep it from vibrating on the interstate. I will check the fitment for a few days before going back and RTV'ing the hood stops so that they are waterproof to the interior of the car.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

What part number is this tool?

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

LOL. It's called make use of what's just laying around!
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Take Your DeLorean to Work Day! I couldn't resist taking a picture of the hood fully installed and in place.

PXL_20240312_134046396.jpg
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I wouldn't be able to resist a photo either! Well done sir.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I wouldn't be able to resist a photo either! Well done sir.
    Thank you!

Trying to figure out what my next project will be. I might fit the Euro distributor weights I bought earlier this year. I should also replace all the front fender top screws, they are in very shape. I'll replace the regular screws with stainless.

PXL_20240311_022903498.jpg
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Take Your DeLorean to Work Day! I couldn't resist taking a picture of the hood fully installed and in place.

PXL_20240312_134046396.jpg
    Photo reminds me that I recently fixed my hood light from falling out all the time. About 10 layers of masking tape on one end of clear lens and now it holds in very nicely. I think a lot of owner have found the lamp cutout was to large.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Photo reminds me that I recently fixed my hood light from falling out all the time. About 10 layers of masking tape on one end of clear lens and now it holds in very nicely. I think a lot of owner have found the lamp cutout was to large.
    Yes the lamp fits inside surprisingly loose. Guess I've never had it fall out (yet).
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Yes the lamp fits inside surprisingly loose. Guess I've never had it fall out (yet).
    Anyone try this: https://www.deloreango.com/us/courte...tment-led.html

That or Amazon/eBay options - they may have a tighter fit.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast