FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Shows Three Concepts Depicting Decades Of Fictional Evolution

DeLorean Shows Three Concepts Depicting Decades Of Fictional Evolution

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/delorean-shows-three-concepts-depicting-decades-of-fictional-evolution/ar-AAZY2xP?cvid=8f9cbca0d1674e939602790349b78366[/url]

My VIN:    6125

This whole fictional timeline of the DeLorean motor company is a confusing mess. None of those alpha cars look like they have anything to do with the original DeLorean brand, and this fake legacy shits all over the idea of "what could have been" had DMC continued to exist. (DMC24 excluded.)

Instead of showing a logical series of steps from the original design to today, this fake series of prototypes comes off more as a post-hoc justification of why the Alpha 5 looks nothing like the original DeLorean.

Last edited by Mark D; 07-26-2022 at 10:17 AM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Hyperlink to the MSN story is also here.

DMR's "Generational" info posted to their site yesterday.

Agreeing with Mark D about their "backdated-from-the-present" Alpha design studies.

They did name their company DeLorean Motors Reimagined. So they're delivering on the imagination aspect.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    Early

This "New DeLorean" is indeed shitting all over the original car, name, and enthusiasts that kept that name alive. Talk about trying to rewrite history…

DMCH hasn’t been able to even produce new binnacles or glovebox inserts for years. The only thing that keeps them alive is that they own many unique NOS parts (doors) and drawings.

Nowadays, I try to only place orders with DPI and DeloreanGo.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-26-2022 at 02:12 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    6125

It's baffling how they could have possibly thought any of this fake legacy timeline stuff was a good idea, especially right before the official launch of the Alpha 5 at Pebble Beach. They couldn't have muddied the waters any more if they had tried.

Rather than promote the new car that exists, they release a bunch other fictional prototypes that look similar but aren't real? Just WTF are they thinking that would accomplish?

-Best case scenario, they could have linked the design of Alpha 5 to the original DMC design language and shown some evolution from A to B.

-Worst case, and what appears to actually be happening, is that people are confusing these non-existent concepts with the actual Alpha 5. For example, Instagram is full of people shitting on the 90's prototype thinking that is what currently going to be offered.

In addition to the above, for the people that actually understand that these are 'what if' concepts, it opens the door to comments like "should have built this one instead of the Alpha 5" etc.

Seems like the DMC marketing department has found a very unique way of shooting themselves in both feet.

Odd how this is the first this Delorean community has ever seen anything besides Johns sketches of the Firestar 500. I just looked over the delorean.com website and I'm baffled. Are they really depicting a completely false story of a "what if Delorean never failed" kind of history? Like someone went back in time, changed the past, and now we're all in an alternate future? Sounds familiar.
    Last edited by dmcerik; 07-26-2022 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    In addition to the above, for the people that actually understand that these are 'what if' concepts, it opens the door to comments like "should have built this one instead of the Alpha 5" etc.
    That’s what I was thinking. I don’t care what you build, there are some people that will love it and some that will hate it. Why you want to show cars that someone might love more than the car you’re selling is stupid.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

DMR told the public they'd be doing this

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Odd how this is the first this Delorean community has ever seen anything besides Johns sketches of the Firestar 500. I just looked over the delorean.com website and I'm baffled. Are they really depicting a completely false story of a "what if Delorean never failed" kind of history? Like someone went back in time, changed the past, and now we're all in an alternate future? Sounds familiar.
    Are they depicting a completely false story? Maybe. Or maybe maybe not exactly that or at least not with malicious intent.

I think I understand what they're doing.

If you watch DMR's "reveal" interview with DeLoreanTech from May 29, 2022 you will hear them explain* that they were going to do something like this soon and that they had a reason for it. At the time their DeLorean Generational webpage tab existed only in concept. Now they've fleshed it out, which is what we're talking about here.
    *Time stamp (hr:min:sec) for their explanation from that YouTube video:
    1:41:15 until 1:46:30 - The DeLorean Generational timeline is covered by DMR's Neilo Harris and Troy Beetz.

Nielo first explains the basics of "The Hidden Timeline" page that existed as a blank graphic on Reveal Day.
    Troy goes further to say "It'll all make sense", and something along this line: "In 10 years someone can look back and see the how the various Generational concept vehicles led to the next 3 DMR cars beyond the Alpha5 that are planned to show up after 2025."

That's a reference to the Alpha2 barchetta/roadster, the Alpha3 luxury sedan and the Alpha4 SUV. So their Generational story looks more like a way to tease those next 3 cars while connecting them, however loosely, to the classic DeLorean vibe.

Will the popular media will understand the subtlety of the Generational timeline and how it connects to their story? I'm sure DMR will address that at Pebble.

I suspect it's how DMR wants to set expectations and generate excitement around things to come. They say they're planning for the long haul.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    5312

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    This "New DeLorean" is indeed shitting all over the original car, name, and enthusiasts that kept that name alive. Talk about trying to rewrite history…

DMCH hasn’t been able to even produce new binnacles or glovebox inserts for years. The only thing that keeps them alive is that they own many unique NOS parts (doors) and drawings.

Nowadays, I try to only place orders with DPI and DeloreanGo.
    Had an arguement on reddit with james espey on this lmao. Isnt it sad that hyundia can release a concept that feels more like a delorean than dmc can? lmao, so many people are talking in my car circles about the n vision 74. Know how many even know of the new dmc? none.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Are they depicting a completely false story? Maybe. Or maybe maybe not exactly that or at least not with malicious intent.
    Word of the day, retcon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast