FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Bad Timing Chain Tensioner?

My VIN:    05257

Bad Timing Chain Tensioner?

Hi there. After rebuilding the motor last year I have a motor failure. Suddenly heard loud scraping noise from the right side of the engine. Took the valve cover off just to find pieces of white plastic near the chain. Must be from newly installed chain guides.... So I took the rear bumper off and the timing chain cover - the straight chain guide on the right side lost its plastic part which felt in to the pieces and those were lying everywhere.
    But the real problems is the new chain tensioner was malfunctioning being stuck in closed position. Actually both are bad and they fell in to pieces as I took them off. (The lock is not holding them in one piece).

Anyone had problems with them? These are newly made parts (got them from DeLorean Europe), have slightly different dimensions compared to the old ones came out of the motor which I decided to replace.

Obviously I am in the market for the new ones - any suggestions?

Thank you and greetings from Germany and 05257.

Those tensioners have oil passages in them to keep them lubricated under pressure. When you changed the tensioners, did you leave the circular white screened mesh filters on that are behind them? They insert into the engine block. These are known to cause issues and most leave them off so oil isn't blocked going into the tensioner.

If oil is not getting into the tensioner, this will cause them to fail as yours did or these could be very low quality remade parts.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Try to find some NOS or even good used OEM parts. If you still have your originals, put them back in.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC