FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clutch slave

Clutch slave

I decided to replace my clutch slave cylinder and got one from DPI. It seems like when I was removing the exhaust awhile ago from underneath the car, I thought I could see the clutch slave from there. Since I cant hardly see it from the top, I was thinking maybe it’s easier to change it from the bottom. Is this correct? I don’t have a lift, so it’s kind of a chore to get the whole car jacked up high enough to get under. If it can’t be done from there, it would be nice if someone could tell me now. I checked the “how to’s”.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It can be done from the top or the bottom, each has it's own "special" challenges. I prefer to do it from underneath but it is easier after you have done one because when you do it from the bottom you must work by touch. Not that it is any easier from the top but at least you can see a little bit but access is worse. It only needs to be replaced if it leaks.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It can be done from the top or the bottom, each has it's own "special" challenges. I prefer to do it from underneath but it is easier after you have done one because when you do it from the bottom you must work by touch. Not that it is any easier from the top but at least you can see a little bit but access is worse. It only needs to be replaced if it leaks.

That's what she said.

Does yours have stock exhaust? I’m thinking if the inter-connect pipe is not there, you can see it from the bottom. That’s probably how I saw it from the bottom before.

I haven’t leaked any fluid, but when the car sits for a week, I’ve got no clutch. The master is a year old and it has the stainless hose. I think maybe the seal in the slave is no good. (Letting fluid by)

The slave cylinder is a VERY simple device. Very few parts. If it leaks you know because you will have to add fluid to the master reservoir and you would see a thin, dark fluid dripping from the bottom of the bell housing.
    David Teitelbaum

The slave cylinder is a VERY simple device. Very few parts. If it leaks you know because you will have to add fluid to the master reservoir and you would see a thin, dark fluid dripping from the bottom of the bell housing.
    If it leaks air into it, you won’t see it.

I got the car up on jack stands and I can see it easily now. (Without the crossover tube) I would have changed it, but got called to another project.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    That's what she said.
    +1

As for her (the DeLorean silly), the slave is readily accessible from underneath if you don't have a crossover pipe. It's just a bit confusing first time around
    since you don't understand how it fits in place, and that you need to push hoses out of the way.

Getting from on top seems like too much grief, especially for us of merely average height, it'd be a great deal of leaning over and reaching around (ahem).

To get it from the top I put a moving blanket over the motor and lay on it to reach the clutch cylinder. You have to try to move all of the hoses and wires over to get to it. Not worth it. Yes, if the car doesn't have the cross/over pipe it is a LOT easier from the bottom.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

If you never pulled the intake off, just do it now. With it off there is no problem from the top and then you can clean your valley.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    If you never pulled the intake off, just do it now. With it off there is no problem from the top and then you can clean your valley.
    I figured that was a big job. Was going to wait til I need a water pump for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast