FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Steering column bushings issues

My VIN:    Early

Steering column bushings issues

Hi all,

I replaced in 2018 with a delrin one from DeloreanGo. Now I have a new one from DMCH ready to install, however, I have a problem.

Both the steering shaft and bushing hole are worn significantly. This was because PO ran without one for many years…

I suppose I will need a new steering shaft? If so, anyone know a vendor that sells the shaft without the rest of the column?
    DA413C4C-990B-4C50-B050-553837BC357E.jpg

As for the pedal box hole… besides removing the box and having it welded, what options do I have? I was thinking of just installing a new delrin bushing with 3M 5200 instead of grease and squeezing some more in there after install, but I’m open to opinions.
    70469AFF-AE5F-4A2A-8A77-D2DB3356DA93.jpg
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Don't do anything to the shaft. As for the sheet metal, you can make up a small piece with a hole in it and screw or pop rivet it to the firewall. Secure it as the last step so everything lines up.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Early

I don’t know if it’s just my early car, but there is no way to pop rivet something thick enough there. The area with the hole is just not flat.

When I had time last night, I simply substituted JB weld for the grease to install. Seems Ok for now. Also, I decided to leave the shaft alone. I simply used some sand paper to deburr it and filled the groove with sil glyde for lube.

If that jbweld fails, I designed a new bushing to be CNCed from delrin.

My idea is have a column bushing with an m22 nut on the back of it. Would work well for cars with a screwed pedal box. Would cost some $$ but I can order a few and sell the rest if it works out.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3