FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CV boot replacement on rear axles

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

D T are you ever going to stop?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    3937

I got the slimy jigsaw puzzle back together lol.

Wondering if that inner portion is symmetrical too face versus bottom? Reason I’m asking is I just noticed the green dot and slightly different face on this side and it was installed with this side facing down. The other direction anyway.

Does this matter? I’d like to not have to repeat the puzzle again unless necessary. Can you see the difference in the sides I’m describing?. 4894A11F-5194-4856-B339-FA0227F64E47.jpg5008770B-B5C8-4772-B48B-350E3BCC82A6.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I got the slimy jigsaw puzzle back together lol.

Wondering if that inner portion is symmetrical too face versus bottom? Reason I’m asking is I just noticed the green dot and slightly different face on this side and it was installed with this side facing down. The other direction anyway.

Does this matter? I’d like to not have to repeat the puzzle again unless necessary. Can you see the difference in the sides I’m describing?. 4894A11F-5194-4856-B339-FA0227F64E47.jpg5008770B-B5C8-4772-B48B-350E3BCC82A6.jpg
    They're not symmetrical. They need to go together one way or they will bind. The green dot with the raised lip goes inboard the flat surface outboard. Looks like you left the boot flange on so that will help define witch way it goes.
    This in relation to the axle not car.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 08-12-2022 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    They're not symmetrical. They need to go together one way or they will bind. The green dot with the raised lip goes inboard the flat surface outboard. Looks like you left the boot flange on so that will help define witch way it goes.

Dave B.
    Thanks. I got it reversed and back together again. Puzzle skills improving lol.

So, for this boot I’m working on, it is the passenger side and the end of the axle connecting to the transmission not the wheel. On this one, that green dot side is facing the boot. When you say inboard and outboard, does that mean all green dots face the boot? Just trying to make sure I understand the terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Thanks. I got it reversed and back together again. Puzzle skills improving lol.

So, for this boot I’m working on, it is the passenger side and the end of the axle connecting to the transmission not the wheel. On this one, that green dot side is facing the boot. When you say inboard and outboard, does that mean all green dots face the boot? Just trying to make sure I understand the terminology.
    Yes
    Green dot facing the boot.

Dave B.

And… check please! Done and done. Wait til tomorrow to get it down and go for a drive.
    1D07A195-7424-446F-B984-580D46CB3586.jpg

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Dave B.
    Hm. I've just redone mine, and I posted this on Facebook, but no one responded. On one of the joints, it's certainly binding a bit; I'm pretty sure I have the orientation correct, and I didn't see any green dots. I know
    that the races have to be aligned think/thin as per the guide, and this particular joint took a long time to get the bearings in vs the other 3. On the outer race, the line at the edge is closest to the wheel. What did
    I get wrong? Or is there another problem?

With luck, no anxiety-inducing post reply from you know who.

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Hm. I've just redone mine, and I posted this on Facebook, but no one responded. On one of the joints, it's certainly binding a bit; I'm pretty sure I have the orientation correct, and I didn't see any green dots. I know
    that the races have to be aligned think/thin as per the guide, and this particular joint took a long time to get the bearings in vs the other 3. On the outer race, the line at the edge is closest to the wheel. What did
    I get wrong? Or is there another problem?

With luck, no anxiety-inducing post reply from you know who.
    If no green dot. I would refer to the surface of the inner race for the raised lip. That needs to face the boot. The flat surface tord the c clip.

Dave B.

If no green dot. I would refer to the surface of the inner race for the raised lip. That needs to face the boot. The flat surface tord the c clip.

Dave B.

Right yes, otherwise the circlip won't go on properly. I've taken it apart, and tried different combinations of things, and it just doesn't move right, no matter what. I
    checked all the surfaces for scratches, etc, and don't see anything. Even with only a couple of bearings in it doesn't move properly. Perhaps something is deformed.
    At this point, I'll need to take apart one of my spares and use those.

Final follow up on this; I had determined from the end cap markings that the joint I had put in was in fact one of my
    spares. I pulled of a working end in record time, and clean and put it on, and have now bolted the CV joints in
    (not to self, still need to torque), The mystery of the other one remains, but probably best as parts at this point.

Also, get the correct tool - the ones from DeLoreanGo are the crimp type, and not the tool earlier referenced. They're
    a real PITA to get on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast