FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Air cleaner

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Time to type all that but not find a K&N P/N that takes 4 seconds?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Time to type all that but not find a K&N P/N that takes 4 seconds?
    Don't forget to consult David T before any kind of service on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You are not supposed to blow out "ordinary" air filters, the recommendation is to replace. The K & N ones CAN be cleaned, dried and re-oiled. In fact, they sell a kit to do it. Typically you do the air filter when you do a tune-up, around 10,000 miles. This is the recommendation for a car that is expected to do around 10,000 miles a year under typical driving conditions. Under severe conditions you service more often and because we drive the cars much less than 10,000 miles a year we do things time based and condition based, not mileage based. If you have very dusty conditions inspect the filter every 3 months and then decide it you need to do it more often or less often. You can use a soft brush and try to brush off as much as you can but once the filter "loads up" you are going to have to replace it. To inspect it use a light and see how it shines through when it's clean and then when it gets dirty you can estimate how bad it is getting. The best way to judge is to track your gas mileage and when you see it getting bad it is time to clean it.
    I have the K&N filter on my truck. I also have and used the kit. But it is not practical on the Delorean operated on a dirt road. The intake on the truck is high up on the front and rarely gets dust unless I pass someone. I have only one mile to paved road without much traffic. If I drive the D out three times in dry weather, the air cleaner is full of dust. Of course I rarely drive it unless it’s dry weather, so it always gets dust. I’m thinking I might have to “stock” a number of air cleaners.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    In Resources

AC: A815c, Bosch: AF235, Champion: AF343, CrosslandL 042115, Fram: PH287A, NAPA: 6112, NOPI: AF-235, Purolator: AF14275, Volvo: 269308-3, WIX: 46112, World: W27-623
    Just a note. My local auto parts stores (3 different ones) could do nothing with any of these numbers. A couple crossed to anther number, but that part did not fit. Might want to take those out of resources.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Just a note. My local auto parts stores (3 different ones) could do nothing with any of these numbers. A couple crossed to anther number, but that part did not fit. Might want to take those out of resources.
    I can edit out the ones that you are sure don't fit. #'s?
    Did they come up with any good #'s?

THX!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I can edit out the ones that you are sure don't fit. #'s?
    Did they come up with any good #'s?

THX!
    Not saying those numbers don’t fit. Some say they are discontinued or just don’t come up at all. They didn’t come up with any good numbers. Two of them crossed to a Wix number, but it was not the Wix number listed and the part didn’t fit anyways. One guy said he could find it for me if I give him dimensions. I will probably do that to see what he can find.

For now, I ended up ordering a couple from Houston.

My VIN:    16409

I had mentioned earlier in this thread the Filter for a Ford Five Hundred works. It matches dimensionally to the DeLorean size. I stock these for service work. You can find them at O’Reilly or RockAuto.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I had mentioned earlier in this thread the Filter for a Ford Five Hundred works. It matches dimensionally to the DeLorean size. I stock these for service work. You can find them at O’Reilly or RockAuto.
    I just googled Ford 500 air cleaner and all I get is round “carburetor type” air cleaners. What am I missing? Do you have a maf part #?

Edit, I see you get different response for “Ford five hundred”. I will check it out.

Thankyou.
    Last edited by Helirich; 10-08-2022 at 11:04 AM.

Update,

I went to Oriely’s and checked the air filter for a 2005’ Ford Five Hundred. (This is not to be confused with a Galaxy 500) It was the same width, but was about 1/4” longer. Tried I could, I could not get it in my air box. I thought about cutting it with a razor, but decided to check another brand. (Their brand was Magnaguard) I went to our generic auto parts store and got the same part made by Wix (#46924) It looked the same, but it was much easier to squeeze into the box and I was able to get the clips on.

I can’t say I like it, but in a pinch, it will work.

Ron, on those other part numbers, I can’t say any of them don’t work. I never had one with the listed manufacturer and number to try. I would not suggest deleting them because someone might walk in to a store that has one on the shelf for years. I think I would just put a note under them saying it’s not likly you can get them. You could also appeal to the forum to come up with new numbers.

I also think the “Ford Five hundred” info is worth listing with a note about its fit.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I also think the “Ford Five hundred” info is worth listing with a note about its fit.
    I added the WIX 46924.

FWIW- With the DMCH ones being <$10, I just kept kept a spare...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast