FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Air cleaner

Air cleaner

Has anyone got a cross number for a common air cleaner for our engine? It looks pretty standard. I’m guessing there is another (common) car that has the same size. Would be nice if I could just go to the zone and pick one up.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

In Resources

AC: A815c, Bosch: AF235, Champion: AF343, CrosslandL 042115, Fram: PH287A, NAPA: 6112, NOPI: AF-235, Purolator: AF14275, Volvo: 269308-3, WIX: 46112, World: W27-623

My VIN:    16409

Most of the Volvo or DeLorean Cross reference filters have been discontinued. Generally an air filter from a 2006 Ford Five-Hundred has the same dimensions as a DeLorean filter. Depending on the brand, some don't quite compress enough to fit in the air box. In those situations you can trim off a bit of the rubber gasket material and the filter will fit nice an snug.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Good to know. Hmmm, I don’t even know what a 06’ Ford 500 looks like. Lol. But I would assume it should be in stock some where. If not, those numbers Ron gave me should help.

Thanks

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There is also a K & N filter that fits, I don't have the number handy.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

K&n: 33-3072
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    There is also a K & N filter that fits, I don't have the number handy.
    I like K &N, but I believe they are more free flowing. I live on a dirt road that gets very dusty when it’s dry. On conventional vehicles, (front engine) it’s not a problem because the dust is all behind the air cleaner. The Delorean is bad for making dust off the front wheels that gets to the air cleaner. I have to bow out my engine compartment and the area between the hood and Louvers with compressed air regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I like K &N, but I believe they are more free flowing. I live on a dirt road that gets very dusty when it’s dry. On conventional vehicles, (front engine) it’s not a problem because the dust is all behind the air cleaner. The Delorean is bad for making dust off the front wheels that gets to the air cleaner. I have to bow out my engine compartment and the area between the hood and Louvers with compressed air regularly.
    Same, same, and same.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Same, same, and same.
    Ron
    I was wondering if I was the only owner on a dirt road. Do you remove your air cleaner and blow it out every so often? Or do you just replace it? Either way, How often do you replace it?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You are not supposed to blow out "ordinary" air filters, the recommendation is to replace. The K & N ones CAN be cleaned, dried and re-oiled. In fact, they sell a kit to do it. Typically you do the air filter when you do a tune-up, around 10,000 miles. This is the recommendation for a car that is expected to do around 10,000 miles a year under typical driving conditions. Under severe conditions you service more often and because we drive the cars much less than 10,000 miles a year we do things time based and condition based, not mileage based. If you have very dusty conditions inspect the filter every 3 months and then decide it you need to do it more often or less often. You can use a soft brush and try to brush off as much as you can but once the filter "loads up" you are going to have to replace it. To inspect it use a light and see how it shines through when it's clean and then when it gets dirty you can estimate how bad it is getting. The best way to judge is to track your gas mileage and when you see it getting bad it is time to clean it.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast