FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Karma Automotive LLC sues Reimagined Automotive LLC

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Karma Automotive LLC sues Reimagined Automotive LLC

Great. Just what we need. More drama in the DeLorean community. Which will will lead to more annoying comments/questions from the general public when out with the car.

https://www.law360.com/cases/62f13dd017a1b4734645da27

Electric Car Co. Says Workers Stole IP For DeLorean Project

By Katie Buehler

Law360 (August 8, 2022, 6:37 PM EDT) -- An electric car manufacturer on Monday in Texas federal court accused four former employees of swiping its trade secrets and forming a rival company in order to run off With a project that involves updating the famous DeLorean vehicle.

Karma Automotive LLC sued its former vice president of sales and customer experience and its former chief revenue officer, among others, in the Southern District of Texas. claiming they worked for about a year to form their own company, Reimagined Automotive LLC, which they used to steal a joint venture project with DeLorean Motor Co. out from under Karma Automotive.

The former employees - ex-Vice President Joost de Vries, ex-Chief Revenue Officer Alan Yuan, Troy Beetz and Neilo Harris - were all part of the Karma Automotive team tasked with developing and proposing ideas for the joint venture, referred to as Project 88, according to the lawsuit. In December 2020, the men allegedly grew tired of answering to Karma Automotive executives.

"Apparently, individual defendants grew dissatisfied with Karma's efforts to make Project 88 more detailed and viable, and instead decided to prevent Karma from being able to mqve forward with Project 88 so that they could seize the business opportunity for themselves," Karma Automotive said.

From December 2020 until February 2022, the four men allegedly worked to solicit investments for and pitch their new company, all while still being employed by Karma Automotive, according...
    I'm not a paid member of this site so that is all I can find out. (I guess you can register for free at the site but I just don't have time right now).
    Last edited by ssdelorean; 08-10-2022 at 08:39 AM. Reason: (added text)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    16377

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Great. Just what we need. More drama in the DeLorean community. Which will will lead to more annoying comments/questions from the general public when out with the car.

https://www.law360.com/cases/62f13dd017a1b4734645da27

I'm not a paid member of this site so that is all I can find out. (I guess you can register for free at the site but I just don't have time right now).
    This PDF was added to the Files section of the DeLorean Fanatics Facebook Group.

-Nick
    Attached Files

My VIN:    Early

Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    6125

What a complete shit show this has turned into.

The failed "reimagined timeline" marketing campaign for the Alpha 5 was already bad enough, and now this. SMFH.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    What a complete shit show this has turned into.

The failed "reimagined timeline" marketing campaign for the Alpha 5 was already bad enough, and now this. SMFH.
    +2
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Quote Originally Posted by NJP548 View Post
    This PDF was added to the Files section of the DeLorean Fanatics Facebook Group.

-Nick
    Wow! That brief is pretty crushing.

Ron

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Oh boy.

Apparently, Karma Automotive is no stranger to IP lawsuits.

In 2020, they sued Lordstown Motors over allegedly stealing infotainment tech: LINK

Also in 2020, they were sued for stealing Electric Humvee plans from VLF: LINK

Looking on their company website, it seems that all of Karma models / concepts are warmed over iterations of the 2012 Fisker Karma designed by Henrik Fisker: LINK

Per Wikipedia, they are a Chinese-owned company: LINK
    Last edited by DMC-81; 08-11-2022 at 08:06 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Neither is DMC Texas. Sally Baldwin (AKA DeLorean) took them to court in 2015 after they unlawfully used the DeLorean trademark between 1995-2015 when it was owned by John DeLorean. DMC Texas also re-directed royalty payments from Universal Studios to DMC Texas bank accounts when DeLorean died in 2005. Payments were due to the DeLorean estate, not DMC Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Oh boy.

Apparently, Karma Automotive is no stranger to IP lawsuits.

In 2020, they sued Lordstown Motors over allegedly stealing infotainment tech: LINK

Also in 2020, they were sued for stealing Electric Humvee plans from VLF: LINK

Looking on their company website, it seems that all of Karma models / concepts are warmed over iterations of the 2012 Fisker Karma designed by Henrik Fisker: LINK

Per Wikipedia, they are a Chinese-owned company: LINK

Quote Originally Posted by gullwingD View Post
    Neither is DMC Texas. Sally Baldwin (AKA DeLorean) took them to court in 2015 after they unlawfully used the DeLorean trademark between 1995-2015 when it was owned by John DeLorean. DMC Texas also re-directed royalty payments from Universal Studios to DMC Texas bank accounts when DeLorean died in 2005. Payments were due to the DeLorean estate, not DMC Texas.
    I read that Sally Baldwins's lawsuit was dismissed:
    https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/10...is-thrown-out/

Sally's original lawsuit was not thrown out, she settled with Texas for an undisclosed amount of money for use of the name DeLorean. She later discovered that DMC Texas had re-directed royalty payments from Universal Studios, to DMC Texas, instead of the DeLorean estate. Sally had no idea the estate was due payments from Universal Studios because she obviously was not that close with John DeLorean. Everything was left to DeLorean's children Zachary and Kathyrn in the will. However, at the time the kids were unaware of this (long story). Sally acted in bad faith adminstering the estate. Because Sally settled the first lawsuit, the judge basically said, "too bad, you already settled." That's how DMC Texas gets to keep the ongoing supply of money from Universal Studios.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I read that Sally Baldwins's lawsuit was dismissed:
    https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/10...is-thrown-out/

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast