FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fuel sender unit fix

Question Fuel sender unit fix

Hey folks anyone managed to fix their fuel sender unit? Mine broke recently and upon taking it apart I can see that the thin wire up one side has snapped and come away from the end, here is a video, has anyone attempted a fix? Everyone I know who bought a replacement part says they are after except for the tankzilla, a Saab 900 based replacement that’s sadly a decade out of production.

https://youtu.be/0JM7QFXswc4

I started on this adventure by the way because I went to drive one day and my gauge needle was stuck at 12 o clock.

Cheers for any advice you can offer!
    Last edited by willgoldstone; 08-14-2022 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Making sure YouTube link is present as it doesn’t render in mobile browser

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

There is nothing special about that wire. It brings in 12v from the light...
    It connects to a contact that seems to missing in your vid (among other parts). Probably corroded away:

fuelsendunit.jpg

Hi thanks for the reply- can presumably just remake that contact and use some new piece of wire then? I’m gonna clean the whole thing in an acetone bath then start to fix it. Feels like I could just use a guitar string if the wire is nothing special?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

YW!

IIRC, the wire is copper. It appears long enough to reuse to me, so I'd avoid any resistance issue (using a guitar string).

You will have much better luck soldering copper in any case.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Alternatively, the modern fuel pump solutions from vendors contain an integrated sender. Also available separately, which is what I did, was get the DM
    send module. My second looks to be in excellent cosmetic condition, but the low fuel connection wasn't working; the DM sender module gets around that, and
    allows for sloshing of the tank readings. I think the DPI solution incorporates that.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    Alternatively, the modern fuel pump solutions from vendors contain an integrated sender. Also available separately, which is what I did, was get the DM
    send module. My second looks to be in excellent cosmetic condition, but the low fuel connection wasn't working; the DM sender module gets around that, and
    allows for sloshing of the tank readings. I think the DPI solution incorporates that.
    I just got my DPI fuel pump kit. My original sending will be available if OP or anyone wants it (8K mile car)
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Hey all cheers for the info, I’m in the U.K. and still quite new to the community (<2 years?) so not familiar with these products, could you please share some links / full names of things I can google ?

I found the modern pump option but not keen on spending 600 dollars plus ship and import duties.

MrChocky what state is your part in?

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by willgoldstone View Post
    Hey all cheers for the info, I’m in the U.K. and still quite new to the community (<2 years?) so not familiar with these products, could you please share some links / full names of things I can google ?

I found the modern pump option but not keen on spending 600 dollars plus ship and import duties.

MrChocky what state is your part in?
    Um, Pennsylvania?

Did you mean this:

https://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Good video on how the sender works and repair: