FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: replacing the "in tank" fuel rubber hoses?

replacing the "in tank" fuel rubber hoses?

Hi folks-so the tank on this '82 DMC I'm restoring had fuel sitting since 1993, and it was pretty much varnish. For the most part, I got the tank pretty clean by siphoning it out, and then soaking the tank in dishsoap+water. There appear to be two rubber hoses that live inside the tank, and they actually seem pretty pliable, but I'm assuming I should replace these, no? Is there a configuration diagram for these, or pics, or a description anywhere? I've never seen this kind of system, with the hoses and the white plastic "web" moulding that lives inside the tank. Don't fully understand it. Thanks for any tips!

PS-I'm almost done with the breakdown portion of the job; the top end of the engine is stripped down, suspension and steering is out(new parts are here). Once I strip the brake MC/booster and clutch cylinders, that part is done. New radiator/fan assembly is in, and started to go back in with the cooling hoses. I'm getting a 4 post lift installed next week, so I had aspirations of finishing the job on it, but I haven't figure out how I'd get it ON there, since the car is currently on a dolly. nevertheless, progress is being made on getting this car back on the road in 2023!

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    Hi folks-so the tank on this '82 DMC I'm restoring had fuel sitting since 1993, and it was pretty much varnish. For the most part, I got the tank pretty clean by siphoning it out, and then soaking the tank in dishsoap+water. There appear to be two rubber hoses that live inside the tank, and they actually seem pretty pliable, but I'm assuming I should replace these, no? Is there a configuration diagram for these, or pics, or a description anywhere? I've never seen this kind of system, with the hoses and the white plastic "web" moulding that lives inside the tank. Don't fully understand it. Thanks for any tips!

PS-I'm almost done with the breakdown portion of the job; the top end of the engine is stripped down, suspension and steering is out(new parts are here). Once I strip the brake MC/booster and clutch cylinders, that part is done. New radiator/fan assembly is in, and started to go back in with the cooling hoses. I'm getting a 4 post lift installed next week, so I had aspirations of finishing the job on it, but I haven't figure out how I'd get it ON there, since the car is currently on a dolly. nevertheless, progress is being made on getting this car back on the road in 2023!
    Most owners just go with the GM style upgrade I did but my original guts were gone.

Here is I think a good video on how to assemble the original system https://youtu.be/3vCAG2IUb3E.

Dave B.

Fuel.jpg

#69 is the pickup hose. Replace this with a modern one. This hose is known to collapse when the gas starts heating up and causing fuel delivery issues as well as starve the fuel pump to the point it will start to whine. Some owners have installed a stainless steel spring inside of the hose (easier said then done) to prevent the hose from collapsing. Hose #69 goes from the bottom inlet of the fuel pump to a fuel filter "disc" (#76) which sits in the center of the fuel baffle (#78 & #75)

Hose #68 is the return hose for gas being sent back to the tank. This hose goes from a steel tube (#66) and is then clipped (#79) to the side of the fuel baffle (#78) pointing into the center of the fuel baffle.

The fuel baffle (#78) is held in by a single nut to a stud that is "fused" to the actual plastic tank, so take care not to snap that stud. Also, the metal webbing (#73 and #77) attach to that same stud and sit on the top edge of the baffle, you can kind of make out how they sit on it in the image.

Also, as Dave stated, most owners just go with the newer style "all in one" GM fuel pump. You can get the GM pump from any parts supplier and either put together the needed pieces to install it or get a hold of Chris Miles, he makes an install kit for them.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dmcman73; 08-31-2022 at 09:38 AM.

Is this an example of the drop in GM style replacement? And if so, does that mean that I can scrap the internal rubber hose system?

https://deloreanindustries.com/onlin...-sender-gen-3/

Is this an example of the drop in GM style replacement? And if so, does that mean that I can scrap the internal rubber hose system?

https://deloreanindustries.com/onlin...-sender-gen-3/
    Yes. Using this, you scrap the baffle, in tank rubber hoses, pump, booth and boot cover. You can purchase it from Delorean Industries or, you can piece it all together yourself for cheaper.

ok-thanks. i have the kit from delorean go, i think. i havent gone through it cause i havent removed all the old crap. i'll pull the plastic baffle thing and then take it from there. thanks.

ok-thanks. i have the kit from delorean go, i think. i havent gone through it cause i havent removed all the old crap. i'll pull the plastic baffle thing and then take it from there. thanks.
    If you take the baffle out of the tank, you need to separate the bottom from the ring and gently squeeze it to get it past the fuel pump hole on the gas tank.

My VIN:    16409

Here is a picture of the GM pump with my install kit. You can get rid all of the old in-tank components. You can buy the pump at AutoZone with a lifetime warranty.

E6EEC7F0-94D0-4E3A-9668-482777B4ACF3.jpg

7BC243AE-25E1-4FD8-8493-6B11D71666BF.jpg

Thanks for the Plug.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Thanks Chris! Where is the install kit available?

My VIN:    16409

I’ll send you a PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California