FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: For Sale: Manual Frame - used - located in Kansas City

My VIN:    11596

For Sale: Manual Frame - used - located in Kansas City

I'm starting a frame-swap project this weekend and my original manual trans frame will be available for purchase when I'm done. There will be pictures to follow once I have the frame out of the car. I'm swapping frames because there is some rust damage that needs repair but is out of my capabilities as a suburban hobbyist. I have owned my DeLorean for about 22 years and during that time I always assumed the frame would have to be removed from the car first in order to properly make it perfect, but as a new Dad and with family and career commitments, I didn't feel like I could tie up my garage for months while paying someone else to fix it up. I was lucky to run into someone who had a restored frame available so I purchased it and will be using that frame instead (basically the "easy button" for my restoration goals).

Known damage includes:

• the center part of the front crossmember has been dented in from an errant floor jack many years ago.
    • There is a crumbling spot on the horizontal seam directly under both upper rear links and around the triangular faces on the underside in the same area.
    • The passenger side water pipe stay has pulled out of the frame leaving a small hole.
    • Underside of the front extension has surface rust but is intact.
    • Engine cradle has had some repair done prior to my ownership (over 20 years ago).
    • There is peeling epoxy in the front fuel tank area under the clutch master cylinder but the metal is intact

I have no experience in welding but I believe the frame is very repairable and better than most that are removed for a swap. There are no "chunks missing".
    Last year I did some rust mitigation by sanding all known bad areas and degreasing, metal prep, and POR15 on all bare metal. As a result, the frame looks like it has patches of light colored paint here and there. No big deal because you're going to sandblast the entire frame before refinishing it anyway!

The frame is straight as an arrow and the suspension aligns perfectly on it. No frame straightening required. It has about 67K miles on it if that means anything to anyone. Fuel tank cover plate NOT included but I will probably have all of the hard brake lines, hard fuel lines, and all of the original water pipes included with the frame.

The frame is located in Kansas City and I would prefer that the buyer would pick it up. I can have it available to pick up at a freight dock with forklift access if that's helpful. I should be done transferring parts over from this by mid-October.

Please private message me if you would like to discuss. Should have photos available in a week but would like to get the word out anyway.

Asking $3,000 cash

Last edited by 82DMC12; 08-31-2022 at 10:45 AM.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Here are a few photos from the top side of the frame. I have almost everything stripped off of it now and all that's left is the rear suspension. Should have that off this weekend. Once I can get it rolled out to the drive way I will take more pictures. You can see large patches of dark stuff on the frame, that is the semi-factory undercoating overspray. It does come off with acetone or lacquer thinner (and a lot of rags you don't mind throwing away).

PXL_20220904_174300967.jpg

PXL_20220904_174315118.jpg

PXL_20220904_174330124.jpg

PXL_20220904_175757163.jpg

PXL_20220904_175806833.jpg

PXL_20220905_203052095.jpg
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Updated full gallery of frame photos here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qyo65Fe1wQLR6FSBA

As you can see, the frame is very repairable. The worst damage is the front crossmember which was rotting and then damaged by a floor jack. That section can be cut out and a new plate welded in. There is some crumbling damage under the rear upper control arms and quarter-size holes in the frame near the fuel filter and the passenger side water pipe stay. There is peeling and cracked epoxy and many various places but I believe the metal is still good.

If you want them, I will include all the hard fuel lines (usable and in good shape), all original hard water pipes (usable and in good shape), all hard brake lines (usable and in good shape) and motor mounts (not bad but not great).

No vacuum pipes included.

I can store the frame indoors for a reasonable period of time with a non-refundable $500 deposit if you want it but aren't ready for it yet.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Hey everyone, here is a video showing everything you might need to know about the frame. Easy repair job.

https://youtu.be/IlP-ZYsg2FY

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

This is currently pending a sale

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City