FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: overheated /purged coolant /otterstat help

My VIN:    nov 81

overheated /purged coolant /otterstat help

went for a short 10 minute drive and turning into neighborhood noticed temp was at the first red line. Pulled into drive heard the gurgling and realized coolant was dumping everywhere. Realized that the fans were NOT running.
    I let it cool enough to get hands in there and pull wires from otterstat switch. I jumped them with a wire and the fans started running. (with the car off)

Is it safe to say that the switch is bad? Is there something else i should be checking?
    If so does anyone have the new style pipe/switch from DGO that has the screw in switch? would that be a good upgrade and what else should i do just to be safe?
    I am hoping nothing was damaged getting that hot for a short period of time. any advice on what i should do next would be great.

thanks
    Dave

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

I'd replace the otterstat, it sounds like it has failed. Your engine should be ok if you shut it down as soon as it began boiling the coolant. When you refill the cooling system you will have to bleed the air out unless you have a self bleeder kit installed.

I do not have the screw-in otterstat pipe but I plan to buy it and install this winter. I've never thought the OEM push and clip was the best design.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    went for a short 10 minute drive and turning into neighborhood noticed temp was at the first red line. Pulled into drive heard the gurgling and realized coolant was dumping everywhere. Realized that the fans were NOT running.
    I let it cool enough to get hands in there and pull wires from otterstat switch. I jumped them with a wire and the fans started running. (with the car off)

Is it safe to say that the switch is bad? Is there something else i should be checking?
    If so does anyone have the new style pipe/switch from DGO that has the screw in switch? would that be a good upgrade and what else should i do just to be safe?
    I am hoping nothing was damaged getting that hot for a short period of time. any advice on what i should do next would be great.

thanks
    Dave

meant to say pulled into driveway.. so it was not boiling over too long before i shut it off...

My VIN:    4665

You can now get that same screw-in pipe with new otterstat directly from DMCH. Part K110131A.

thanks
    Dave
    Im going to order from dgo or dmc tonight. Is there something else i should be checking? The car was only running for about 10-15 minutes before it started boiling over. It was about75 degrees outside. Does it seem like it heated up to quick for just the fans not running in that short of a period of time?

My VIN:    03500

Im going to order from dgo or dmc tonight. Is there something else i should be checking? The car was only running for about 10-15 minutes before it started boiling over. It was about75 degrees outside. Does it seem like it heated up to quick for just the fans not running in that short of a period of time?

My guess is air in the system. If you haven't done anything to possibly cause it. The water pump could be going or not a good pipe seal on one of many pipes. Air trapped in the water pump will cause it to fail sooner because it sits above the water column.
    This is why myself and others have installed the auto bleeder system.

Dave B.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

If the car was stationary (no airflow passing through the radiator) and no fans spinning for 10-15 minutes, for sure it will overheat.

Besides replacing the otterstat common sense says to check for any leaks. If you have an inspection camera or have access to one it take a peek under the intake for any coolant there. Check the weep hole under the shaft of the water pump, any drip there means the pump is toast.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

dont see any leaks. weep hole is dry. I ordered the new style pipe and threaded sensor from Dgo along with hoses clamps and a self bleeder kit. I appreciate the help and will update when i get it together.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

There are many reasons the fans don't run when they should. A little trouble-shooting and visual inspection is in order. Inspect the fuseblock for signs of overheating. Inspect the fan fail relay or whatever you have in place of it. Check with a meter the circuit breaker for the cooling fans. If that all is good use a paper clip or a clip lead and jumper the two wires going to the Otterstat switch. If that doesn't get the fans to run you need to use a meter and find where the circuit is failing or it's possible the fan motors are bad (or the wiring to them). It is "Good Practice" to replace the "O" switch anytime the car got too hot, it often damages the "O" switch so it no longer works correctly once it gets overheated. It is also a good idea to bleed the system because it probably has air in it once it boils over. If the system hasn't been flushed in a long time (over 5 years) now is a good time to do it. Replace with Prestone and mix with 50/50 soft water unless you buy the pre-mixed stuff. You should pressure test for leaks while you bleed the air out.
    David Teitelbaum

working so far

I replaced the pipe and sensor a couple hoses and added the bleeding kit. There was a leak at one end of the bleed valve that was hissing air and a bit of coolant. I swapped the hose clamps to smaller ones than what they supplied and it stopped leaking and looked a lot cleaner. everything seems to be working. The fans kicked on like they should. Ive let it heat up and cool down twice. cant find any leaks so far.
    Is it best to just leave the bleed valve open all the time? Is that what everyone does with this kit?

Thanks for all the help.
    Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast