FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Intermittent hot stalling > 2500 RPM idle

My VIN:    03572

I think you should stop unplugging the idle ECU. It's making your results not constant. If your idle motor is buzzing then the idle ECU's drivers are working.

Pull the idle motor and turn the key to on and you should see the idle motor move quickly to about half open (amount depends on your temperature sender resistance) then it should slowly move to open.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 12-03-2022 at 01:45 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Idle motor not moving at all when ignition is turned on. Original and new 501. Maybe due to ambient temps always warm being in S. FL?
    Why would the RPM results be different between both ECUs? The only way to drive the car is with the idle speed control ECU plug disconnected which gives the ~2500 RPM From there, it will idle 750-850 in gear and stall after the engine is hot and the A/C is on.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Started engine with ISM unplugged and the idle dropped significantly. Upon plugging ISM in the idle will jump back to 2500. Video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZrXCWgP6kVk?feature=share
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Started engine with ISM unplugged and the idle dropped significantly. Upon plugging ISM in the idle will jump back to 2500. Video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZrXCWgP6kVk?feature=share
    I'm not an expert but that ISM sounds like hell I think it's shot.

Dave B.

Swapped to 501 ISM. Ran with ignition on and it does not move. I waited a minute but nothing - but it is buzzing and buzzing quieter than the original.

Checked vacuum soleniod again just because and it is no longer clicking when the throttle is actuated (ignition on)
    ~LXA~

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Swapped to 501 ISM. Ran with ignition on and it does not move. I waited a minute but nothing - but it is buzzing and buzzing quieter than the original.

Checked vacuum soleniod again just because and it is no longer clicking when the throttle is actuated (ignition on)
    Your idle ECU must be bad if it does not move. Now my ECU will not move without the engine running but the stock one will.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Bench tested the vacuum solenoid at 12V and it clicks. Reinstalled parts removed and started this morning with the spare idle ECU and new 501 ISM. Takes 2-3 tries with excessive cranking to fire. Engine will not hold cold idle. Keeping foot on the accel pedal will keep it running but it's running more rough even though it was smoother after the new 02 installation.

Next step in 5 days is transport to a local technician specializing in vintage cars and has knowledge of K-Jet. Will report back.
    ~LXA~

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Wondering if there is something odd going on with your WUR/CPR..

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Wondering if there is something odd going on with your WUR/CPR..
    I just thought about that last night. Weird that it's running attributes are completely different with each idle ECU.
    ~LXA~

Hi, what does this mean ?
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Sindelfingen ? is close to me.

I can repair your ECU

Where are you now ? SWFL ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast