FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Popping out of 4th

Popping out of 4th

Hi all

On a very long trip I noticed the car pop out of 4th twice. It only did it those two times and otherwise was fine there is no gear grinding but I do think I have the old plastic line. Master and slave both new. Any ideas if this may have just been a lazy shift?

My VIN:    5312

Mine does this on 5th, as there is an alignment You do for 5th/reverse I need to do. Buth 4th? Id at this point it being 2023 replace that line with a stainless one. But this could be a fluid or just a clutch in problem. Did it happen while shifting or while cruising in gear?
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    Mine does this on 5th, as there is an alignment You do for 5th/reverse I need to do. Buth 4th? Id at this point it being 2023 replace that line with a stainless one. But this could be a fluid or just a clutch in problem. Did it happen while shifting or while cruising in gear?
    Just when decelerating. I?m actually thinking because I?d been driving for 5 hours I?d probably done a lazy downshift and it wasn?t properly engaged.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty View Post
    Just when decelerating. I?m actually thinking because I?d been driving for 5 hours I?d probably done a lazy downshift and it wasn?t properly engaged.
    Popping out of gear has nothing at all to do with the plastic hose line but it is a good idea to change it. Typically, if it pops out of gear it is usually because it was not all the way into the gear in the first place. Or the detent springs should be inspected and replaced if necessary. First thing to do is check the adjustments of the shifter linkage and replace any rubber bushings that are worn. Also inspect the motor and transmission mounts.
    David Teitelbaum