FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot start issue

Hot start issue

Happy New Year everyone! It?s been awhile since I was here. I don?t use my car that often. Last time I drove it I developed a hot start issue. The car is very difficult to start after is been driving for awhile. I have to let it sit for a long time before it will start again. Not sure if this is related, but I noticed the pick up tube in the fuel tank came loose and is just sitting at the bottom. Would that cause this issue? Also stupid question but is it safe to shine a flashlight in there with some fuel in the tank? I don?t want the flashlight bulb to cause a spark in the tank. I have led flashlights. Anyway I was just hoping to see if this was a quick fix or what else I should test out in the mean time.
    Thank you in advance!

Corey

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by coreydmc View Post
    Happy New Year everyone! It?s been awhile since I was here. I don?t use my car that often. Last time I drove it I developed a hot start issue. The car is very difficult to start after is been driving for awhile. I have to let it sit for a long time before it will start again.
    Accumulator is the usual suspect here, but here's more:

https://support.delorean.com/kb/a61/...rt-issues.aspx

Not sure if this is related, but I noticed the pick up tube in the fuel tank came loose and is just sitting at the bottom. Would that cause this issue? Also stupid question but is it safe to shine a flashlight in there with some fuel in the tank? I don?t want the flashlight bulb to cause a spark in the tank. I have led flashlights. Anyway I was just hoping to see if this was a quick fix or what else I should test out in the mean time.
    Thank you in advance!

Corey
    Fuel doesn't catch fire as easily as Hollywood would have you believe. However, the rubber parts of the pump/boot do fail, especially if they are original. A picture here might help.

Ok that is a good place start with replacing the accumulator. I have a new one that came with a service kit I bought last year. I just never got around to changing it. I?ll try and do it today and report back. Thank you

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Treat fuel with a LOT of respect. You must have heard about Jay Leno! You should remove as much fuel as you can and replace any defective parts in the tank. Not because of the hot start problem but bad parts in the tank will cause other problems. If you aren't going to do any testing and the fuel accumulator has been in the car for a long time, it is the most likely cause of the problem. You can always get yourself going by doing the "Plug Swap".
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Treat fuel with a LOT of respect. You must have heard about Jay Leno! You should remove as much fuel as you can and replace any defective parts in the tank. Not because of the hot start problem but bad parts in the tank will cause other problems. If you aren't going to do any testing and the fuel accumulator has been in the car for a long time, it is the most likely cause of the problem. You can always get yourself going by doing the "Plug Swap".
    Always remember to furnish yourself with anxiety from a David T lecture before starting any DeLorean work.

Always a thumbs up here! I thought I had the accumulator but i have a fuel filter.
    I already removed the accumulator it was easier than I thought. I?ll order some parts today!

Always a thumbs up here! I thought I had the accumulator but i have a fuel filter.
    I already removed the accumulator it was easier than I thought. I?ll order some parts today!
    While you're at it, check on the fuel lines to it; they are cheap to replace and you don't want be still using
    factory original ones. Likewise, on the lines to the fuel pump, since you are looking up there too.

I ordered a new accumulator and hose kit from Rob Grady. I also did a pressure test on my old one since I removed it and it doesn?t hold pressure for very long. So I?m assuming that is the problem.
    When I?m pressure testing the old one does it matter how much left over fuel is in it? I dumped a lot out before I tested it.

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

It's the likely problem. Mine held no pressure at all. once I replaced it everything starts like a champ.

and yeah, replace all old fuel hoses.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

When I?m pressure testing the old one does it matter how much left over fuel is in it? I dumped a lot out before I tested it.
    No, aside from safety issues the amount of fuel in there doesn't matter.

If you saw any fuel come out of the rear (single) port of the accumulator any time after removing its hose then the accumulator diaphragm failed.

That's what that port and the hose from there back to the tank is for. It handles any fuel leaking past/thru diaphragm.

Normally there's fuel only on the pressure side of the diaphragm in the forward chamber of the accum., the end with two ports on it.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast