FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Valve Stem Seal?

My VIN:    Early

Valve Stem Seal?

So on my rebuilt engine, I noticed oil in the exhaust ports when messing with my leaky header issue.

The stem seals were installed on a head then transferred to a replacement as the first wouldn?t work for me.

My intake valves are clean, but there?s this on ever valve of the exhaust side. Does this seem like the stem seal, or normal oil coming up past the rings? Engine has 50 miles.

FE2F2E26-86BF-413E-868B-ED48DF383AB1.jpg
    2CD917E6-F41D-455C-870D-1FB5CC74D449.jpg

If it is stem seals, is there a way to do it without pulling head? I know with my diesel, you can put the piston at TDC and it won?t fall in. Is this the same?
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    So on my rebuilt engine, I noticed oil in the exhaust ports when messing with my leaky header issue.

The stem seals were installed on a head then transferred to a replacement as the first wouldn?t work for me.

My intake valves are clean, but there?s this on ever valve of the exhaust side. Does this seem like the stem seal, or normal oil coming up past the rings? Engine has 50 miles.

FE2F2E26-86BF-413E-868B-ED48DF383AB1.jpg
    2CD917E6-F41D-455C-870D-1FB5CC74D449.jpg

If it is stem seals, is there a way to do it without pulling head? I know with my diesel, you can put the piston at TDC and it won?t fall in. Is this the same?
    I've never seen a valve stem seal placed under the valve like that. All I've seen are placed inside the spring side. You can pull the keepers off the spring if you feed compressed air into the spark plug hole to hold the valve closed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I've never seen a valve stem seal placed under the valve like that. All I've seen are placed inside the spring side. You can pull the keepers off the spring if you feed compressed air into the spark plug hole to hold the valve closed.

What you see are the valve guides. The stem seals are inside valve cover. I was thinking of feeding rope and pushing the piston into the valve, but I'm not sure there's enough room even with backing out the adjustment all the way on the rocker.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

That would appear to be a leaking valve seal.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean Industries View Post
    That would appear to be a leaking valve seal.
    I forgot to ask you over the phone, but do you offer any cam option for 3.0? If not, is B280E cam and upgrade over the eagle? If so, where to find?

It would give me another reason to eventually pull the engine and rockers to replace stem seals.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Not currently. But we will be making extra camshafts and other internal components when we begin offering full new PRV's. Odd and even fire components depending on request.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters