FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: crazy injector. smell of petrol car running

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    The fuel has to overcome a set spring pressure inside the injector. If the spring is damaged or something is "stuck open" due to debris in the injector, the injector will leak as you describe. If the same injector leaks no matter which hose it is attached to, the injector must be cleaned (if you get lucky, sometimes it can fixed by cleaning) or simply replace it.

We need to know which situation is true:

1) the same injector leaks no matter which port/hose it is attached to OR
    2) it doesn't matter which injector is attached to a particular port/hose - it leaks at rest every time
    result:
    it doesn't matter which injector is attached to a particular port/hose - it leaks at rest every time

My VIN:    11596

Then it appears the fuel distributor must be replaced or rebuilt.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    The fuel has to overcome a set spring pressure inside the injector. If the spring is damaged or something is "stuck open" due to debris in the injector, the injector will leak as you describe. If the same injector leaks no matter which hose it is attached to, the injector must be cleaned (if you get lucky, sometimes it can fixed by cleaning) or simply replace it.

We need to know which situation is true:

1) the same injector leaks no matter which port/hose it is attached to OR
    2) it doesn't matter which injector is attached to a particular port/hose - it leaks at rest every time
    Each port inside the FD has a spring seal (that is what the thin plate between the two halfs does). So any garbage around those seals and it will leak fuel.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Each port inside the FD has a spring seal (that is what the thin plate between the two halfs does). So any garbage around those seals and it will leak fuel.
    thanks Dave!

I think....I had to adjust the CO adjustment to extra revs....is the opposite possible? i.e. the bad injector spits a lot because of the extra CO regulation, so the problem is the other 5....I don't know. very strange that the negative adjustment has no visible effect....

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by alexdmc1 View Post
    thanks Dave!

I think....I had to adjust the CO adjustment to extra revs....is the opposite possible? i.e. the bad injector spits a lot because of the extra CO regulation, so the problem is the other 5....I don't know. very strange that the negative adjustment has no visible effect....
    I've only rebuilt one FD. There are a lot of small holes that need to be clean inside the FD. But my guess is your leaking port probably has some "dirt" on that thin metal plate so it can not seal. If I was to do another FD rebuilt, I would not use anything to seal the two halfs and make sure everything is super flat and clean. The factory did not use any sealer. I would lightly sand the halfs on my granite surface block to make sure it's flat.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02855

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

After you fix this, be sure to change the engine oil. no doubt it has been contaminated by the excess fuel, got thinned and will not protect the engine properly.

I bet that if you pull the dipstick, it will smell like fuel.

Thanks a lot for your valuable advice. I'll check the whole system. Thanks so much

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 8T utilizzando Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2