FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: crazy injector. smell of petrol car running

crazy injector. smell of petrol car running

WhatsApp Image 2023-01-28 at 14.12.45.jpg
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2T...usp=share_link

Hello everybody. I disturb once again. I discovered that I have a problem with the accumulator that was leaking a lot from the rear outlet. but i have a big problem. The blend is very rich. I took out the injectors and rpm relay bypass. I saw that only one injector is open, the others are closed....it delivers a lot of petrol. I swapped the injector with a nearby one but the problem remains. I tried to adjust the CO screw down but there is no change.

the pin in the center of the distributor is clean and moves freely....

thank you very much. If I can do more tests let me know! Hi guys

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by alexdmc1 View Post
    WhatsApp Image 2023-01-28 at 14.12.45.jpg
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-2T...usp=share_link

Hello everybody. I disturb once again. I discovered that I have a problem with the accumulator that was leaking a lot from the rear outlet. but i have a big problem. The blend is very rich. I took out the injectors and rpm relay bypass. I saw that only one injector is open, the others are closed....it delivers a lot of petrol. I swapped the injector with a nearby one but the problem remains. I tried to adjust the CO screw down but there is no change.

the pin in the center of the distributor is clean and moves freely....

thank you very much. If I can do more tests let me know! Hi guys

So let me get this straight... you have all six injectors still connected to the fuel lines, and they are placed in jars, correct? And when you jump the fuel pump, one of them is spraying?

If that's true, then that is not correct. That injector should not be spraying at all. It should be bone dry. When you do this test, fuel should not come out of the injector unless you press down on the air meter flap. There should be a fair amount of resistance. If not, perhaps your accumulator is so bad inside that most of the fuel is returning to the tank and you don't have enough fuel pressure at the engine to open the other injectors?

If that is true, replace the accumulator first before retesting. Sound like you need to replace the one injector that is leaking too.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    03572

I think he swapped that injector with one that was not spaying and the problem was still on that same line. That would point to the fuel distributor is faulty. My guess is the FD needs to be opened up and cleaned.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I think he swapped that injector with one that was not spaying and the problem was still on that same line. That would point to the fuel distributor is faulty. My guess is the FD needs to be opened up and cleaned.
    If that's the case, I agree. Sounds like FD rebuild time. Need to replace the leaking accumulator for sure, hard to do much if fuel pressures are incorrect anyway.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    So let me get this straight... you have all six injectors still connected to the fuel lines, and they are placed in jars, correct? And when you jump the fuel pump, one of them is spraying?

If that's true, then that is not correct. That injector should not be spraying at all. It should be bone dry. When you do this test, fuel should not come out of the injector unless you press down on the air meter flap. There should be a fair amount of resistance. If not, perhaps your accumulator is so bad inside that most of the fuel is returning to the tank and you don't have enough fuel pressure at the engine to open the other injectors?

If that is true, replace the accumulator first before retesting. Sound like you need to replace the one injector that is leaking too.

Hi,
    you are right. the injector shouldn't work. I replaced the accumulator because the old one leaked a lot of petrol and lowered the primary pressure. Now the primary pressure is back to 5 bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post

is very strange. because normally the fuel line plugs, closes. is very strange. Is this line maybe more pressure? why are the other 5 lines blocked? I wonder why the CO mixture adjustment doesn't work? I closed the adjustment but the delivery does not change.
    it could depend on the pressure regulator seals. The car has been standing still for 25 years. I did the following work:
    cleaned the tank
    accumulator
    fuel filter,
    spark plugs (they are very black)
    engine oil
    engine oil filter

thanks

is very strange. because normally the fuel line plugs, closes. is very strange. Is this line maybe more pressure? why are the other 5 lines blocked? I wonder why the CO mixture adjustment doesn't work? I closed the adjustment but the delivery does not change.
    it could depend on the pressure regulator seals. The car has been standing still for 25 years. I did the following work:
    cleaned the tank
    accumulator
    fuel filter,
    spark plugs (they are very black)
    engine oil
    engine oil filter

thanks
    If you have a K-Jet pressure gauge hooked up properly and you have 5 bar primary pressure, but only one injector fires when you press down on the air meter plate AND if you swap injectors THE SAME LINE is the only one spraying any fuel, then you need to do a full rebuild of the fuel distributor. There is no other explanation. I would send the distributor out to an expert who does this all the time. Or trade for a working distributor.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    If you have a K-Jet pressure gauge hooked up properly and you have 5 bar primary pressure, but only one injector fires when you press down on the air meter plate AND if you swap injectors THE SAME LINE is the only one spraying any fuel, then you need to do a full rebuild of the fuel distributor. There is no other explanation. I would send the distributor out to an expert who does this all the time. Or trade for a working distributor.

hi, when press down on the air meter plate all (6) injectors spraying fuel. all. But when not press down the air meter plate only one (1) injector sprays uncontrolled...

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

To be clear, does the same injector spray after a swap, when the plate is not pressed? Or is it the same line?

hi, when press down on the air meter plate all (6) injectors spraying fuel. all. But when not press down the air meter plate only one (1) injector sprays uncontrolled...
    The fuel has to overcome a set spring pressure inside the injector. If the spring is damaged or something is "stuck open" due to debris in the injector, the injector will leak as you describe. If the same injector leaks no matter which hose it is attached to, the injector must be cleaned (if you get lucky, sometimes it can fixed by cleaning) or simply replace it.

We need to know which situation is true:

1) the same injector leaks no matter which port/hose it is attached to OR
    2) it doesn't matter which injector is attached to a particular port/hose - it leaks at rest every time
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast