FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: melted engine control fuse...

My VIN:    nov 81

melted engine control fuse...

What should I be looking at next? what would cause this to melt like it did?
    Attached Images

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    What should I be looking at next? what would cause this to melt like it did?
    It's normally caused by badly corroded fuse box terminals. When they get corroded they tend to create a lot of heat.
    Check the fuse box and see if there is melting. Unfortunately it may come down to a fuse box replacement It's very common. I did mine a few years ago.

There are some videos on the replacement of a fuse box and plenty of threads here as well.

Dave B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Could also be;
    1) It was the wrong size for the position it was in (too small)
    2) The connections (connectors) were overheated at some point and lost their springiness and did not connect tightly to the fuse
    3) The circuit was drawing too much current but not enough to blow the fuse

Make sure it is the right amperage for the position it was in and make sure the connectors tightly grip the fuse. Bend them if you have to but if they bend too easily they got too hot and now won't hold any fuse tightly. The fix is to replace both connectors and if the wire got overheated, a portion of it should be replaced too. Common in position #7 for the fuel pump. When the pump starts to go bad it first draws way too much current and melts the fuseblock.
    David Teitelbaum