FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ok Here We Go? Destroyed Lug Nut

My VIN:    10187

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Ok Here We Go? Destroyed Lug Nut

Got all new Hankooks to replace the 41 year old NTCs and to the surprise of nobody all lug nuts come off splendidly except for one. Rear passenger side. First, the ?shell? of the lug slipped off, which rounded the real lug underneath enough to need a 12pt or extractor. Tried both in that order to no avail. So long story short, I have a lug that?s very obliterated, too far gone for any extractor socket (I?ve tried 2 different sets and several sizes) but nothing will turn. In fact, I *think* the lug and stud have actually spun backward a hair, which makes me think the stud seating is shot.

Has anyone here drilled out your stud and if so, what bits did you find best? Carbide? Also what kind of effort is it to get the new stud in?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    Got all new Hankooks to replace the 41 year old NTCs and to the surprise of nobody all lug nuts come off splendidly except for one. Rear passenger side. First, the ?shell? of the lug slipped off, which rounded the real lug underneath enough to need a 12pt or extractor. Tried both in that order to no avail. So long story short, I have a lug that?s very obliterated, too far gone for any extractor socket (I?ve tried 2 different sets and several sizes) but nothing will turn. In fact, I *think* the lug and stud have actually spun backward a hair, which makes me think the stud seating is shot.

Has anyone here drilled out your stud and if so, what bits did you find best? Carbide? Also what kind of effort is it to get the new stud in?
    Instead of buying extractors and tools that may or may not work and can be expensive, maybe go to a tire shop and have them remove the bad lug nut. At this point the stud is probably OK if you can remove the lug nut. Take what's left of the shell with you because the tire shop my actually need it to remove the lug nut. A tire shop will have tools to remove locking lug nuts and they may work. Or they may have to weld a nut to the lug and try to work it off.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03500

As horrible as it might sound I think it would be cheaper and easier to torch it out from the backside. I think there's enough room for it to be possible. As much money it going to be for a decent drill bits and the time it's going to take to get through all that metal. Plus if the stud is starting to spin it may not be possible. I think a good shop should be able to do this with almost or no damage.

After all that you'll have to pull the hub to get the new stud in. Pull off the brake caliper. Hang it out of the way than pull the brake disk. There is a hefty screw that keeps the disk on the hub. Than undo the big nut and pull the hub.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Instead of buying extractors and tools that may or may not work and can be expensive, maybe go to a tire shop and have them remove the bad lug nut. At this point the stud is probably OK if you can remove the lug nut. Take what's left of the shell with you because the tire shop my actually need it to remove the lug nut. A tire shop will have tools to remove locking lug nuts and they may work. Or they may have to weld a nut to the lug and try to work it off.
    Thought of that but (and I failed to mention this in my initial post) I?m redoing the fuel and cooling system as well, so not roadworthy yet. This lug nut thing?s not the most urgent of course but figured if I can do it I will. Worst case tow.

My VIN:    5482

This is a good suggestion regarding welding a nut to the destroyed lug nut. Do you have access to a welder? I bought an inexpensive wire-fed welder years ago and while I don't use it very often, occasionally stuff like this pops up and its a nice to have tool.
    Jeff

My VIN:    03572

I'm assuming the wheel is still on. In that case your really limited with what you can do since you don't want to damage the wheel. You may be able to drill into the nut on two sides and cold chisel it to break.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OverlandMan View Post
    This is a good suggestion regarding welding a nut to the destroyed lug nut. Do you have access to a welder? I bought an inexpensive wire-fed welder years ago and while I don't use it very often, occasionally stuff like this pops up and its a nice to have tool.
    I have zero experience welding, but willing to try if I have to. What equipment did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I'm assuming the wheel is still on. In that case your really limited with what you can do since you don't want to damage the wheel. You may be able to drill into the nut on two sides and cold chisel it to break.
    As of yesterday I got a hole drilled through one side of the nut. Cold chisel would do much so seems like I need to get another hole through it? need to ?flatten? a spot out so the drill bit has something to catch and not slide off of. Man this is a real beyotch.

My VIN:    nov 81

I agree. Ive dealt with many of these. If the old tire is good enough to drive it over to a shop I would let them do it. (once you get it up and running again) If you can post a pic of how bad it is i can probably give you a good idea if a shop can remove it without drilling it out.

Dave

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    I have zero experience welding, but willing to try if I have to. What equipment did you get?
    I've got a Sears 120V wire-fed welder. I think it cost me a little over a hundred bucks about 12 years ago (refurbed). I picked up a cheap shield and gloves to go with it. Nothing was crazy expensive and its a good tool to have around. It might be a challenge to get something welded to that lug being recessed in the wheel. You'll probably have to go slow and be careful not to damage the wheel. I still think it's doable for a DIY-er.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast