FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: On/Off Electrical

My VIN:    Jan '82 #11153

On/Off Electrical

Well, I was going to a Delorean function last night when this happened: Got in, hit the key and the starter just made a click noise. Overnight I charged the battery and tried again in the morning. Starter still clicked once. Hit the key about 3 times and the starter clicked and then the whole car electrical went out. A few minutes later the electrical came back on. Tried it again and the starter clicked and electrical went out after hitting the key a few times. Same thing 4 times. Not sure where to even start to look - relays, battery cables, some ground?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Sounds like loose battery cable/shut off switch connection(s).
    There is a service bulletin for the starter relay, but that was for before your VIN, iirc.

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Sounds like loose battery cable/shut off switch connection(s).
    I agree with Ron. If that doesn't work check the cable at the starter and frame that's were the other ends go.
    They might need a good cleaning tightening or replacement.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 03-17-2023 at 05:21 PM.

My VIN:    03572

Since the starter (solenoid) clicked my bet is a bad battery wire connection. Not just the battery terminals but wires going to the ground and starter terminals. The battery wire goes to the starter and the rest of the 12 volts ties into that terminal.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Jan '82 #11153

Yep, a pretty easy fix. The battery cables were connected securely but the cut off I have for car shows, etc. when you leave the doors open was lose. Thanks for the input!

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
    Yep, a pretty easy fix. The battery cables were connected securely but the cut off I have for car shows, etc. when you leave the doors open was lose. Thanks for the input!
    Glad you found the problem. I have all interior LEDs and run them all day long at shows without any problems. But I do have battery quick disconnects for when I work on the car.

Dave B.