FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Blower motor current

My VIN:    03572

Blower motor current

I measured the current of the blower motor with the engine running. Note my alternator puts out 14.7 volts at idle so you may get a little less current if yours has less voltage. I think my blower is original. I've never changed it but bought my car 15 years ago. I also measured the voltage on the blower motor so I could compute some other values.

Speed #1 is 3.07 amps with 4.1 volts, computed motor power is 12.6 watts
    Speed #2 is 6.95 amps with 7.9 volts, computed motor power is 55 watts
    Speed #3 is 11.55 amps with 11.2 volts, computed motor power is 129 watts
    Speed #4 is 15.1 amps with 13.3 volts, computed motor power is 201 watts

Wasted resistor power computed is:
    Speed #1 = 28.2 watts
    Speed #2 = 37.5 watts
    Speed #3 = 24.3 watts

I was thinking of making a PWM circuit to drive the blower motor to reduce blower current on the first three speeds but so far don't think it's worth the effort. I could have a continuous variable speed though and even make it change with cabin temps. Also a very minor AC cooling not adding that resistor heat to the air flow.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3771

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I could have a continuous variable speed though and even make it change with cabin temps.
    That would probably make the automatic AC possible (with a simple controller/sensor added). I've been constantly thinking of hijacking the radio display & knob (as I did in my AUX bluetooth setup) to set the desired temperature so there's no impact on the original interior.

Interesting, but unless there’s been heat problems with those wires, it probably is not worth the trouble. (As you mentioned) Reading this makes me wish I could “upload” your talents to my mind, like in the matrix movie. Lol.