FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Stainless Steering Shaft and U-Joint Sold by Houston, thoughts?

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Stainless Steering Shaft and U-Joint Sold by Houston, thoughts?

Has anyone recently installed the Stainless Steering Shaft and U-Joint sold by DMC Houston?

https://store.delorean.com/100840ss-...g-u-joint.html

I have it to install, and was expecting it to be a similar design as the original, but it's not, as the bolts do not go all the way through the joints and fasten on each side.

Just wondering if anyone is using this and their thoughts on it, and tips to ensure I install it correctly/safely?

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Seems to be a very similar set-up to this that's been around for a good few years: https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1...ening-u-joints except for it's a custom made center shaft.
    If it helps I have fitted 2 of the 'home made# version and found them to be very good.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

I don't have this specific kit, but it looks very similar to what you can find on this forum about Borgeson single-piece steering shafts and U-joints, including an optional vibration-dampening U-joint. I put the version with splines on so long ago that I forgot I did, and only remembered when I went to install the double-D style shaft with vibration-isolating U-joint.

I've had it so long that I can't remember if it improves much, but it is definitely more robust than the stock shaft and joints. I had the version with the splines for somewhere between 5 and 10 years, and the double-D version for the last two or so.

Here's the thread about the double-D shaft and vibration-dampening U-joints: https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1...ening-u-joints.

The big difference with DMC's kit would be that everything is probably already cut to size and ready to install. If you buy the parts yourself, at least fort he double-D shaft, cut the shaft down and drill some recesses for the set screws (which, again, I did, and it's been working just fine).

As for the vibration-dampening bit, I honestly don't know if it helps much. I don't remember noticing much of a change no my car, but I also had to replace a bunch of bushings soon after that were likely the cause of a lot of my issues.

-- Joe

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Yes
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    16362, 04463 (Former)

As someone who just put in the Borgeson dampening setup 6 months ago allow me to add that I'm not sure I feel any difference whatsoever. I honestly believe that it did something in my favor as a driver but I'll more accurately say this instead: whatever good it did, it wasn't worth the cost.

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I installed the Borgeson a couple years ago. My u-joints were worn and sticking. I have cleaned and greased the originals a few times and they were not good anymore. The Borgeson unit is way better than what I had.

Opposite experience, well worth the money. (also purchased thru a friend so slightly discounted).
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles