FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Redline 75W90 in manual trans. Should I swap?

Redline 75W90 in manual trans. Should I swap?

Hi all-I am restoring a DMC-12 that hasn't been on the road in 30 years. We JUST got the car running, and have not gotten it on the road yet. When I was doing all the heavy lifting aspects of the restoration, I changed the gear oil to Redline 75w90 (standard, non NS). Should I dump this for something better? What is the best transaxle fluid to use these days? I have searched the forum history, and saw mention of Lucas 80w90. This better? Thanks for any tips!

https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-LUC...0&sr=1-28&th=1

My VIN:    11596

Redline seems to have mixed results. I've seen people I trust A LOT on DeLorean forums saying they felt the transmission didn't feel as smooth with Redline. I would get rid of it and put in regular old Valvoline 80W90 from NAPA (and sometimes even Walmart!)
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Any good, branded 85-90W gear oil that is not GL-5 should be fine. In Lotus's they use MT-90 but those boxes are under a lot more stress. It is more important that you have enough gear oil than the actual type (at least in Deloreans).
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Any good, branded 85-90W gear oil that is not GL-5 should be fine. In Lotus's they use MT-90 but those boxes are under a lot more stress. It is more important that you have enough gear oil than the actual type (at least in Deloreans).
    so does that mean I want a GL4 type oil? This is getting very confusing for me. It looks like GL5 is intended for hypoid gears. Most of the 85W90 gear oil I am finding is designated as "hypoid gear oil".

Personally I've been using this for 23 years and it seems to be working well. I just had my manual transmission apart and everything looked like brand new inside.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The Delorean transmission (a Renault UN-1) is unusual in that the same oil is used in the transmission AND the final drive. GL-5 is not supposed to be used where there is bronze, the syncros in the transmission are made of bronze.
    David Teitelbaum

There is another thread on here where things seemed to kind of end up that Castrol Axle Limited Slip 80W90 was a good oil to use, but also some had good luck with Redline 75W90NS GL5 which does say all the right stuff concerning synchros.

Never used either of them myself. As I said, I've been using that Valvoline stuff for a long time and never one had gear synchro issues, clashing, etc that were not related to clutch problems. I had the transmission open this winter and everything looked fine inside including the synchros but I didn't have a brand new set to compare to. This transmission has 69,000 miles on it.

PXL_20220907_203533102.jpg
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

I think it will be fine. Personally, I would switch to synthetic oil. Since you have new oil in it, I would drive it ten miles or so and then drain it while it?s hot. This will keep any junk in it suspended and should drain with it. I recommend full synthetic Ams-oil. Do not put Royal Purple in it. I have some issues with RP although they probably won?t hurt in this application.