FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any way to improve front telescoping Fender Antenna?

My VIN:    7012

That makes sense, thanks. I do think the motorized antenna is going to be the right decision. I might try the Retrosound radio first and just make sure it needs a good antenna, and then spring for the motorized one if I need it. Of course a new fender-mounted telescoping antenna is $15 so I am almost tempted to try that first just in case too.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    That makes sense, thanks. I do think the motorized antenna is going to be the right decision. I might try the Retrosound radio first and just make sure it needs a good antenna, and then spring for the motorized one if I need it. Of course a new fender-mounted telescoping antenna is $15 so I am almost tempted to try that first just in case too.
    Depending on how much you use your Delorean and how much you want to spend, Satellite Radio with BlueTooth is the way to go. Or just Bluetooth, you can use your phone for the radio AND navigation. There are companies out there that can take your old radio and make it Bluetooth compatible so everything still looks original. More expensive that way though. If you are doing all of this for good sound, make sure your speakers are OK. If they are original the cones are dust so you should replace them all.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    I could try that, thanks. The stereo doesn't seem to be the issue?.

When I touch a wire from the metal-sleeved connector in my first picture, to the fender, it doesn't seem to change anything. But I can't tell if the fender is grounded.
    Two ways to see if the fender is grounded in case you want to verify it, which I recommend.
    a. Look for the ground wire under the rubber strip along the upper fender flange aside the luggage compartment. See Item 25 in this diagram near the lower corner of the windshield. See if it is connected to the fender.
    b. Use an ohmmeter to verify any part of the fender shows low or zero resistance to any good ground on the car. One default ground point would be the Neg battery terminal.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    7012

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    a. Look for the ground wire under the rubber strip along the upper fender flange aside the luggage compartment. See Item 25 in this diagram near the lower corner of the windshield. See if it is connected to the fender.
    I just checked and the bolt holding this wire in place has electrical continuity to the fender, if that's what you suggested to test.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2