FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Forcing a Window Down

My VIN:    10187

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Forcing a Window Down

All - neither of my windows roll up or down at the moment, and Ive determined that power is making it to the switches. Still have more troubleshooting to do, but its awfully warm here in VA right now and have a show coming up. One window is fully down, the other is 95% up and I dont have AC back yet. Is there an easy-ish way to get the window stuck up to be down? I have no problem removing the door panel to manual do this if its possible - I just dont have time prior to the show to both get a new motor in and install.

My VIN:    3743

a DeLorean without AC in your area.... gives me PTSD when both times mine went out in the summer here in NC... ahhh Dutch OVEN!
    Matt
    Vin: 3743 Sept. 81 build
    Black interior, Automatic soon to be 5/Speed Converted

Quote Originally Posted by FLUX @88 View Post
    a DeLorean without AC in your area.... gives me PTSD when both times mine went out in the summer here in NC... ahhh Dutch OVEN!
    Yep 100%! The saving grace is Im not making long trips in it anyway.

I would not drive the car in summer if the AC doesn?t work. (Regardless of windows) in fact when I do my once a week drive to a resteraunt in another city, I always hook up the guages and check the Freon pressures. (I have a large tank of R12)

My VIN:    nov 81

Probably best to just leave it until you change it. I did the drivers side about a year ago. It will test your patience for sure. when that motor burned out it was seized and didnt move at all.. no way to force it, you will probably just bend or break something else. but maybe they dont all seize like mine did. Idk
    My pass side burned out a couple weeks and I already have a new motor, but then the california bs smog regulation has side tracked me. Doing injector flow test in morning and if I have time i may swap the pass side motor. If i do i will try and get a better idea if you can unbolt glass frame from the motor let it slide down the rails, maybe support it somehow.. I will send pics if this happens...

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I would not drive the car in summer if the AC doesn?t work. (Regardless of windows) in fact when I do my once a week drive to a resteraunt in another city, I always hook up the guages and check the Freon pressures. (I have a large tank of R12)
    Right on. What are you using to recharge the system (product, brand, etc)?

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    Probably best to just leave it until you change it. I did the drivers side about a year ago. It will test your patience for sure. when that motor burned out it was seized and didnt move at all.. no way to force it, you will probably just bend or break something else. but maybe they dont all seize like mine did. Idk
    My pass side burned out a couple weeks and I already have a new motor, but then the california bs smog regulation has side tracked me. Doing injector flow test in morning and if I have time i may swap the pass side motor. If i do i will try and get a better idea if you can unbolt glass frame from the motor let it slide down the rails, maybe support it somehow.. I will send pics if this happens...

That would be awesome thanks dude!

Quote Originally Posted by mwesten View Post
    Right on. What are you using to recharge the system (product, brand, etc)?
    I just have a 20 lb. tank of R12 I got off eBay. I also have a few small antique cans that I can take if I have a long trip to make. One time I drove to NY and on the way back I needed some. I couldn?t find a shop for 500 miles that had R12. I ended up driving in the middle of the night to stay cool. Never again.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

For all the work to get the windows to move and the tiny cooling benefit you would get, you are better off trying to get the A/C going and just manually forcing the windows closed. If you can confirm power to the switches (and the switches work) you are probably looking at replacing the window motors. A LOT of work and money. Better spent on the A/C. Without A/C a Delorean is a toaster on wheels! One time I was about 15 minutes from home when a hose popped. By the time I got home I was covered in sweat. I would consider driving with the doors open before I would open the windows. As for the windows, after you open the doors, disconnect the window actuator, force the window up and stick a piece of wood inside to block it up. Be careful of all of the sharp edges of the S/S.
    David Teitelbaum