FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Crossover pipe heatshield rattle

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Posts:    299

    Crossover pipe heatshield rattle

    I've had a rattle on my crossover pipe for years now. Usually between 2400 and 2800 RPM. Below or above that I never hear anything. Anyone know if this is possible to fix while still in the car?

  2. #2
    Daily Driver ssdelorean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  NW Ohio

    Posts:    453

    My VIN:    16506

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    I've had a rattle on my crossover pipe for years now. Usually between 2400 and 2800 RPM. Below or above that I never hear anything. Anyone know if this is possible to fix while still in the car?
    Yeah, metal band clamps. Been there done that 100,000 miles ago. Warning, not for those who have to have it looking pretty and stock.

    PS you still over in the Holland / GR Metroplex? Detroit folks are starting to get active again if you wanna join up sometime.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Posts:    299

    Thanks Shannon! I'll give that a try. I haven't attempted to do anything with it yet, or even see how far my arms can reach up, or down, in the area.

    Yup I'm still in Holland. Or back in Holland from being in CA for some years. I'd love to finally meet up again with you all.


    Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Yeah, metal band clamps. Been there done that 100,000 miles ago. Warning, not for those who have to have it looking pretty and stock.

    PS you still over in the Holland / GR Metroplex? Detroit folks are starting to get active again if you wanna join up sometime.

  4. #4
    Daily Driver ssdelorean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  NW Ohio

    Posts:    453

    My VIN:    16506

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Thanks Shannon! I'll give that a try. I haven't attempted to do anything with it yet, or even see how far my arms can reach up, or down, in the area.

    Yup I'm still in Holland. Or back in Holland from being in CA for some years. I'd love to finally meet up again with you all.
    Unless you chunked up like a balloon when in CA you should have no problem reaching up there.
    There are plans for a big Spring/Summer tech day in the Detroit area. One of the owners moved into a new place with lots of space and wants to celebrate.

    I will be sure to email details when a date is settled. You still have same address? [username] at yahoo.com ?
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Posts:    299

    Ha! Nope...no ballooning here. Still the same size as before. Just older now. It's hard to believe my frame off was over 18 years ago. I sent you a direct message with my updated information.

    Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    Unless you chunked up like a balloon when in CA you should have no problem reaching up there.
    There are plans for a big Spring/Summer tech day in the Detroit area. One of the owners moved into a new place with lots of space and wants to celebrate.

    I will be sure to email details when a date is settled. You still have same address? [username] at yahoo.com ?

  6. #6
    Senior Member DMC-81's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2014

    Location:  Florida

    Posts:    2,371

    My VIN:    <2000

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    I've had a rattle on my crossover pipe for years now. Usually between 2400 and 2800 RPM. Below or above that I never hear anything. Anyone know if this is possible to fix while still in the car?
    If you take it off, you can check, repair/replace the 4 M6 bolts that hold the heat shields on. I did this when I refurbished the OE exhaust.



    The crossover pipe is stainless as are the shields, so they clean up well:





    I media blasted the parts and used POR-15 High Temp paint.



    Dana

    1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •