FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Frame Sheet Metal Flat Patterns

My VIN:    16655

Frame Sheet Metal Flat Patterns

With 16655's frame off being blasted clean so I can start repairing all of the rust, I'm looking forward at getting and making/cutting out the parts that will need to be welded on in place of the rusted out sections. Since the frame is essentially just made from formed and welded 16-gauges cold-rolled steel sheet I was wondering if anyone had- either by somehow having gotten ahold of them from when the frames were originally made or by measuring and working it out more recently- flat patterns of all of the sections of the frame, as this would simplify my task of making the new parts that I need. Thanks!

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Interesting question. Two long-shot thoughts for you:

Haven't heard of anybody building up a frame from pieces with the exception of Josh at D-Ind who has been making stainless steel frames. There could be others, too. I know you're not patching your frame with stainless. Josh or others would probably have a drawing of each flat or bent section of the frame. Alternately you can ask Josh whether he would quote you on fabricating any of the frame bits you need in CR steel.

The original frame drawings, perhaps including the dimensions and hole callouts for each panel that was to to be welded up into a frame, might be in a drawer at DMC Classic in Houston. Or Lotus/DMC just specified what the finished frame was supposed to look like in a single drawing and the OE supplier figured it out for themselves. DMC says they have all of the factory drawings.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You typically do not replace a whole section (piece) of the frame. What is commonly done is you use CAD (Cardboard Aided Design). You cut out the rot, make a template out of cardboard of the cut out section, transfer the outline to a piece of CRS, cut it out, and tack it into place. There is a drawing of the frame in the Workshop Manual, the very last section with dimensions of all of the important points. It is mainly there to use as a reference to check for a bent frame. It does not give the dimensions of each piece of the frame.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
    With 16655's frame off being blasted clean so I can start repairing all of the rust, I'm looking forward at getting and making/cutting out the parts that will need to be welded on in place of the rusted out sections. Since the frame is essentially just made from formed and welded 16-gauges cold-rolled steel sheet I was wondering if anyone had- either by somehow having gotten ahold of them from when the frames were originally made or by measuring and working it out more recently- flat patterns of all of the sections of the frame, as this would simplify my task of making the new parts that I need. Thanks!
    i have several pieces drawn out in CAD, contact me and let me know what you are after.

[email protected]

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    16655

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    i have several pieces drawn out in CAD, contact me and let me know what you are after.

[email protected]
    Thanks, I'll contact you via email!