FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Fuel pump rattle

My VIN:    10620

Fuel pump rattle

Hi, folks. Just removed and reinstalled baffle and pump. The top parts of the pump weren't assembled very well, the main large boot was not installed well, and there was no hose from the hard return line feeding back into the center of the baffle. Fuel was just getting everywhere, and I was getting a howling pump after a long drive on a hot day. So I ordered several new parts from DGo and everything looks great, no leaks. Part of the order was the reinforcing spring to push into the pickup hose, and part of the order was a replacement check valve because the PO had gouged one of the hex faces during installation. Spring went in generally problem-free, but there was about 2 inches of leftover spring that did not compress easily into the hose, so I just cut it off. Check valve went on fine. Bench tested the pump. Did not hear anything unusual, but was only able to test in short runs of no more than 10 seconds because I didn't have a very large container for fuel available.

Please check out the vid. This rattle is only thing that concerns me. The only thing that makes sense is for it to be the ball in the check valve. Is it moving around more than it should? Is this perfectly normal? Is it the check valve at all? Is it the spring somehow moving around in the pickup hose? But it really seems to be coming from the top of the pump. It's like a can of spray paint that you're shaking really slowly, one ball movement at a time. Each ping or rattle is accompanied by a slight surge in the feed hose that you can feel when lightly gripping the hose. It's definitely not the accumulator "thump" that I've read about on here. And I don't have any hot start issues. Also engine idle, sound, and performance don't seem to be affected. If you're standing back there watching the engine idle, you'd never know there was this rattle and surge. It's just an even, normal sounding idle. No hesitation when accelerating.

I would appreciate input. Thanks, everyone. --Danny

Last edited by dmcindiana; 06-07-2024 at 09:57 PM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dmcindiana View Post
    Hi, folks. Just removed and reinstalled baffle and pump. The top parts of the pump weren't assembled very well, the main large boot was not installed well, and there was no hose from the hard return line feeding back into the center of the baffle. Fuel was just getting everywhere, and I was getting a howling pump after a long drive on a hot day. So I ordered several new parts from DGo and everything looks great, no leaks. Part of the order was the reinforcing spring to push into the pickup hose, and part of the order was a replacement check valve because the PO had gouged one of the hex faces during installation. Spring went in generally problem-free, but there was about 2 inches of leftover spring that did not compress easily into the hose, so I just cut it off. Check valve went on fine. Bench tested the pump. Did not hear anything unusual, but was only able to test in short runs of no more than 10 seconds because I didn't have a very large container for fuel available.

Please check out the vid. This rattle is only thing that concerns me. The only thing that makes sense is for it to be the ball in the check valve. Is it moving around more than it should? Is this perfectly normal? Is it the check valve at all? Is it the spring somehow moving around in the pickup hose? But it really seems to be coming from the top of the pump. It's like a can of spray paint that you're shaking really slowly, one ball movement at a time. Each ping or rattle is accompanied by a slight surge in the feed hose that you can feel when lightly gripping the hose. It's definitely not the accumulator "thump" that I've read about on here. And I don't have any hot start issues. Also engine idle, sound, and performance don't seem to be affected. If you're standing back there watching the engine idle, you'd never know there was this rattle and surge. It's just an even, normal sounding idle. No hesitation when accelerating.

I would appreciate input. Thanks, everyone. --Danny

It will not be as noisy when you put the top cover boot on and get some more fuel in tank and the cover in the wheel well. Make doubly sure the pick-up hose is not twisted or kinked even though you have the spring in it.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It will not be as noisy when you put the top cover boot on and get some more fuel in tank and the cover in the wheel well. Make doubly sure the pick-up hose is not twisted or kinked even though you have the spring in it.
    Hey, David. I appreciate it. Just to be clear, it?s not the general hum of the pump. It?s those isolated rattles/pings/clicks. Check out 0:10 for one and 0:18 for a little cluster of them. It?s those clicks that I?m worried about.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I had a brand new Dgo pump go bad within 50 miles on a cool day...started the humming that is consistent with a hot pump even though it was only 70 degrees out. Their oe pumps are JUNK!

Then again, all OE style pumps are garbage these days. Once upon a time, back before Bosch moved their operations to Mexico, you could still get good OE style pumps but even with a good pump, the original design of the fuel system was weak especially in hot climates. Yours may sound good for now but I don't trust any of the oe style offerings today. It will puke out sooner rather than later.

Dump all that garbage and get a pump from DeLorean Industries. I've had mine for like 3 years now and we have some hot summers here. It's never missed a beat and I have never worried about it since.

https://deloreanindustries.com/the-e...-sender-gen-3/

PS: I got the cheaper one with the divorced sensor and kept my original level sensor in use.
    Last edited by Michael; 06-09-2024 at 10:17 AM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I had a brand new Dgo pump go bad within 50 miles on a cool day...started the humming that is consistent with a hot pump even though it was only 70 degrees out. Their oe pumps are JUNK!

Then again, all OE style pumps are garbage these days. Once upon a time, back before Bosch moved their operations to Mexico, you could still get good OE style pumps but even with a good pump, the original design of the fuel system was weak especially in hot climates. Yours may sound good for now but I don't trust any of the oe style offerings today. It will puke out sooner rather than later.

Dump all that garbage and get a pump from DeLorean Industries. I've had mine for like 3 years now and we have some hot summers here. It's never missed a beat and I have never worried about it since.

https://deloreanindustries.com/the-e...-sender-gen-3/

PS: I got the cheaper one with the divorced sensor and kept my original level sensor in use.
    Michael, appreciate it. But my question is specifically about those little pings/clicks. In the video you can hear several individual clicks and there?s a little cluster of them at 0:18. Are you familiar with these little rattles?

I must agree with you, though. The next time even the slightest thing goes south with this setup, I?m going modern.

My VIN:    11596

Hard to say what it is. Seems to be bubbles passing through. Or perhaps the internal check valve making some noise.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Hard to say what it is. Seems to be bubbles passing through. Or perhaps the internal check valve making some noise.
    Andy, thanks for jumping in. Bubbles, check valve both possible here. I?m not hearing anyone say they?ve had this exact noise. Gotta be a unique thing with my setup. It has to be either the reinforcing spring in the pickup hose somehow tensing/releasing or a bad check valve. I can?t tell you how much I hate the fuel pump arrangement. You can?t do anything to it with it in place. Otherwise I?d just try swapping out the valve. And don?t get me started on the baffle. I?m not bitter.

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

I have heard that noise before on some of the pumps in my car over the years. Some were a little louder than others. Never knew what it was but Andy s suggestion sounds like a good shout.
    It was aftermarket pumps. I never heard it on a factory pump as mine was seized when I bought it, that would be the only other thing I wondered about for comparison. I assumed it's just a peculiarty with the pumps.

Anyways they all drove fine otherwise which was what I was looking for I didn't look into it any further

Shane
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...