FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Adaptronic Engine Management

Adaptronic Engine Management

Hi All,

With all this talk about EFI conversions and the issues I keep reading about by those using MS systems I'd like to share my experience of the Adaptronic e420c system.

http://adaptronic.com.au/

It's an award-winning australian (available in the US) system which I selected for several important reasons

- cost

- sensor calibration

- ability to program just about any trigger pattern, including the daft Renault 66/3 signal. It does support odd-fire after I asked for it.

- ability to run batch fired injection and distributor - as with the original Renix ECUs on the Renault 2.5 turbo. The ECU has no concept of #1 cylinder. Most ECUs require this.

- the superb auto-tune setup when plugged into an Innovate LC-1 which gives it its name, this includes ignition tuning, but is not a magic bullet.

The above allow me to run an Adaptronic from a Renault flywheel within a later UN1 bellhousing. All native bolt-ons to the DeLorean engine.

Recent additions which have had me weak at the knees include tuning by VE and throttle-map prediction which was instigated to get around ever present throttle response issues. All ECUs have some sort of "throttle pump" parameter but these can be notorious to tune. The guys at adaptronic came up with a neat solution - you set up a very simple table of MAP values based on TPS, then whenever the trottle is moved, the ECU ignores the MAP signal for a predetermined time, say half a second. Here's a little video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZUy7tKDhQk (this is quite an old video)

The Adaptronic can very easily be hooked up to the stock ignition amp in the DeLorean.

The new 1280 ECUs are even more feature-packed than the now old e420c I'm used to.

Wiring is simple and I've not had any issues with simply connecting the grounds to the point behind the rear carpet board, and the switched supply to the feed for the RPM relay. Seperate supplies to those items being powered and controlled via the ECU include fuel pump, cooling fans, idle control, chargecooler pump and fan (and these are just the ones I've used!). I use the stock idlespeed thermistor as the primary engine temperature sensor - it has a very nice spread.

I basically feel a bit impotent with all you guys discussing MS. I would be much more use if some of you strayed from that fold and into mine ;-D
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Interesting unit.

The immediacy of RPM increase based on MAP sensors is indeed a challenge, and I for one am NOT a fan of simply using first order derivatives of MAP or TPS positions to inject more gas (MAPdot or TPSdot in Megasquirt terms). Several of us have now benefited from reducing the lag factor and it is pretty good. Add in the extra variable known as "stuck to walls" and "sucked from walls", and it gets even better. This is a running calculation of the "puddle" of gas that sticks to the walls of the manifold. Under different load conditions it is either accumulating or being reduced. While it takes lots of trial and error and does indeed differ from setup to setup, it has the promise of compensating for the differences between commanded fueling and actual fueling.

There is also work being done to momentarily switch from MAP based to throttle based fueling tables upon "stab" of the accelerator. In essence, that is what this unit would appear to do and seems to be a good idea.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.