FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 923 of 925 FirstFirst ... 423 823 873 913 921 922 923 924 925 LastLast
Results 9,221 to 9,230 of 9245

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

  1. #9221
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,724

    My VIN:    11596

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Lower universal joints and steering shaft from DeLoGO didn't fit unfortunately.
    What a surprise!
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  2. #9222
    Senior Member glockworks21's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2022

    Location:  lincoln ca

    Posts:    236

    My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

    I just finished same job minus the steering shaft about 30 minutes ago. the cage has been partially split for awhile, it finally came completely apart.. Also big shout to Dave S for telling me to slot these with a dremel among other tips. took less than five minutes to get them out.. I probably would have tried drilling them if it was not for that!!!
    Attached Images

  3. #9223
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    4,818

    My VIN:    3937

    Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    I just finished same job minus the steering shaft about 30 minutes ago. the cage has been partially split for awhile, it finally came completely apart.. Also big shout to Dave S for telling me to slot these with a dremel among other tips. took less than five minutes to get them out.. I probably would have tried drilling them if it was not for that!!!
    Yea, his knowledge and willingness to help is remarkable

    That reminds me... those bolts for the steering column ignition switch... I had mine out years ago as I had to replace a defective unit. Mine have those same Dremel cuts in them. What is the best option for replacing those bolts (screws) with new? Maybe not the security ones though as it's already come out once and might need to again. I'd just as soon put regular screws back in there with Philips heads or similar. Anyone know the correct size?


    Sept. 81, auto, black interior

  4. #9224
    Senior Member glockworks21's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2022

    Location:  lincoln ca

    Posts:    236

    My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Yea, his knowledge and willingness to help is remarkable

    That reminds me... those bolts for the steering column ignition switch... I had mine out years ago as I had to replace a defective unit. Mine have those same Dremel cuts in them. What is the best option for replacing those bolts (screws) with new? Maybe not the security ones though as it's already come out once and might need to again. I'd just as soon put regular screws back in there with Philips heads or similar. Anyone know the correct size?



    I took them to home depot and lowes- i cant remember the size but went through all their options and most had a larger head size that i know wouldnt have fit.(at least not flush inside like those do) I ended up cutting the slot deeper and more even once removed and just cleaned them up.. went in solid..

  5. #9225
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Taylors SC

    Posts:    5,327

    My VIN:    (former)05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    I took them to home depot and lowes- i cant remember the size but went through all their options and most had a larger head size that i know wouldnt have fit.(at least not flush inside like those do) I ended up cutting the slot deeper and more even once removed and just cleaned them up.. went in solid..
    I was most impressed with your improvisation getting the steering wheel off with minimal tools. You should post that one!
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

  6. #9226
    Senior Member glockworks21's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2022

    Location:  lincoln ca

    Posts:    236

    My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

    https://youtube.com/shorts/Z-kaOzFHO...rPhds0FMQtq0AS

    HA.. Thanks. the steering wheel puller i ordered didnt have long enough bolts in the right thread pitch.. No box stores had those either... 1/4 x 28 fyi...
    need maybe 4 in long bolts with universal puller.. Or get the one Andy just posted that fits down inside. I didnt have the patience to wait......

    FWIW-
    I got that car with a few of the connection points already split on that cage. noticed it when i replaced the non existent fire wall grommet. It gradually got worse.. Point being.. I never new what it felt like new.. The new column is a night a day difference in overall feel and sturdiness....

    Thanks Again Dave!!

  7. #9227
    I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Central Cali

    Posts:    308

    My VIN:    5087

    heh...it's been a while. Finally installed the new cooling assembly (new radiator, fans/cowling, AC condenser). I skipped doing the whole AC for now as that would take too much time..,so car has no AC and I removed the AC belt to ensure the old system doesn't try to engage. Fixed a bunch of minor things I've noticed...a few bad relays, removed 9 gallons of 3-4 year old fuel, identified a few electrical issues. I think I have a vacuum issue from the mixture adjustment hole so ordered a new plug there. Hopefully the car will soon be able to be driven. Prime goal was to be able to transport it so that much has been accomplished.
    Last edited by AirmanPika; 07-11-2024 at 04:38 AM.

  8. #9228
    DMC Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2016

    Location:  SW FL

    Posts:    770

    Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

    June project: roof box bolting w/surface internal coating, POR-15 coated door strut braces panel bonded & bolted, stainless rear finisher, powder coated windshield trims, SS screws, new inner/outer door seals.
    door strut support comp.jpg
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

  9. #9229
    I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Central Cali

    Posts:    308

    My VIN:    5087

    That explains why the car wouldn't idle...

    split.jpg

  10. #9230
    I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Central Cali

    Posts:    308

    My VIN:    5087

    Yup...that was it. Idled the car for a solid hour with a test hose. Unfortunately the idle motor is unmounted to support the hose and the setup will work itself loose if I drive it. Hopefully DMCH gets me the new hose soon.

Page 923 of 925 FirstFirst ... 423 823 873 913 921 922 923 924 925 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •