FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 899 of 920 FirstFirst ... 399 799 849 889 897 898 899 900 901 909 ... LastLast
Results 8,981 to 8,990 of 9193

Thread: What have you done to your DeLorean today?

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

disintegrated sponge ring replacements

I replaced the disintegrated sponge rings by the rear air intake/vents.

For less than $8.00 I picked up 2 yellow Mini Sink Plungers from HomeDepot (also available at Lowes). Removed the rubber rings. Cut & placed around the intake tubes. Seam placed in back corner and is not visible. I thought of adding some black RTV to secure in place but haven't yet as they don't move and stay in place just fine.

All credit to Chris Toller for this find.

MiniSinkPlungerRing-1.jpgMiniSinkPlungerRing-2.jpgMiniSinkPlungerRing-3.jpg
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Just curious how your wrapped your engine harness again after unwrapping it and removing the brown wires. I recently replace my browns with welding cable as well (didn't do the block though because I used 4 AWG). I'm not using electrical tape, that's no good for engine heat. Got a better suggestion that will hold up?
    I used tesa tape 51036 its mainly made of fabric and can withstand 257 F. That's what it seems everyone is using these days. There different colors and widths.
    The old original tape I cut off with a seem stitch remover. Most of the old electrical tape was so dried out it wouldn't have worked anyway.

David B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 07-11-2022 at 01:39 PM.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    I used tesa tape 51036 its mainly made of fabric and can withstand 257 F. That's what it seems everyone is using these days. There different colors and widths.
    The old original tape I cut off with a seem stitch remover. Most of the old electrical tape was so dried out it wouldn't have worked anyway.

David B.
    Awesome, thanks. Next time I'm in there I'll pull all the browns out. They are just zip tied out of the way for now. They were really getting corroded and didn't look so good after 40 years. Glad to be rid of them!
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post

For less than $8.00 I picked up 2 yellow Mini Sink Plungers from HomeDepot (also available at Lowes). Removed the rubber rings. Cut & placed around the intake tubes. Seam placed in back corner and is not visible. I thought of adding some black RTV to secure in place but haven't yet as they don't move and stay in place just fine.

Nice! I need to do this. Maybe I'll pick up a couple of those plungers today, in fact. I can't go anywhere for a bit because my fuel tank cover plate is off getting refinished so I'm looking for easy stuff I can do without starting or moving my car.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

This looks pretty nice.

For those looking for a collection of solutions for this issue check this other thread, too. It includes variations on this approach including toilet tank seal rings, adhesive-backed foam strips, maybe more.

I don't think I've seen a DeLorean in the past 5-10 years with original pontoon-to-vent/intake seals in decent condition. The originals go baggy when the foam inside turns to dust. The original part, 106693 (Sponge Ring), has been NLA for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post

March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Just curious how your wrapped your engine harness again after unwrapping it and removing the brown wires. I recently replace my browns with welding cable as well (didn't do the block though because I used 4 AWG). I'm not using electrical tape, that's no good for engine heat. Got a better suggestion that will hold up?
    Here's how to use tape similar to the tape our harnesses were probably wrapped with in case that's interesting to anybody. It takes the heat in the engine bay just fine unless a nearby heat shield is missing or maybe with headers.

I think "our" harness tape has no adhesive so if you use such tape perform a repair or upgrade you need to know how to start and end the tape wraps as seen in that video link. That's how it stays in place. And never turns gooey. And looks original.

Here is one example of that tape.

Tesa adhesive tape is probably OK as long as you like the look and it stays adhered/wrapped at the loose end. I haven't tried it.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03572

When to take the D to the post office and my cooling fans turned when I started the car. The AC was not set on. After a little troubleshooting it looks like my otterstat has failed closed. Just unplugged it and things when back to normal. I will have to check it on an ohmmeter but pretty sure it's bad. This is the screw in otterstat which I have not heard of any complaints on those yet.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    When to take the D to the post office and my cooling fans turned when I started the car. The AC was not set on. After a little troubleshooting it looks like my otterstat has failed closed. Just unplugged it and things when back to normal. I will have to check it on an ohmmeter but pretty sure it's bad. This is the screw in otterstat which I have not heard of any complaints on those yet.
    Well I ohm tested the otterstat and read 164 ohms but then test it again and it reads up to 474 ohms. I do have a new one that tests infinity for ohms. I may just leave the otterstat disconnected and let my electronic otterstat switch the fans on. Or I may install the new one (makes a mess of coolant) and see if it ever fails like the first one.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5312

I looked at my delorean sitting there being reliable... Then started working on my lotus next to it
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    I looked at my delorean sitting there being reliable... Then started working on my lotus next to it

LOL same. But old BMW instead of lotus.

Page 899 of 920 FirstFirst ... 399 799 849 889 897 898 899 900 901 909 ... LastLast