FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BTTF Conversion

My VIN:    15880

BTTF Conversion

Well like some of us, I grew up with Back to the Future. It was my favorite movie as a kid and its still on my all time favorites list. From the first time I saw it, I told myself that I would own a DeLorean someday. I saved every penny I could and bought my DeLorean. Its been about 13 years since I've had it and now have saved enough money to convert it to a BTTF replica.

I should be getting it back in time for Christmas. As far as I know, it will be the only one in the Northeast, but curious to see if anyone else has one in the area.

Jimmy.....Jimmy.... Don't do it.... That path leads to the Dark Side of the Force.....

Heh heh heh, just kidding. If you wanna do it, have a ball. I just see this as an opportunity to try and "save" an original piece of history. Unless this is to be done as part of a business venture, why do it? You know once you start drilling holes in those panels it's over. Your beautiful automobile will become a heavy, rolling replica, prop. It's value as a rare car will cease.

Your car (and mine) is already very recognizable as the Time Machine. Having grown up with BTTF also, I've found contentment in replica props that I take to shows, flux capacitor, almanac, Krups coffee grinder. BTTF is an important part of the DeLoreans history, and I acknowledge that, but I don't feel that it's an excuse to destroy a piece of history for the sake of creating a personal toy prop.

Ok, I'm off the box now. I hope you succeed it whatever you decide to do. I hear it can be a lot of fun making one

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD06996

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    If you wanna do it, have a ball.
    Couldn't agree more. It's YOUR money, it's YOUR time, it's YOUR dream! NO ONE ELSE'S!!! Have at it, and take plenty of pictures!

Best of Luck!
    "He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
    - William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by congerz83 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. It's YOUR money, it's YOUR time, it's YOUR dream! NO ONE ELSE'S!!! Have at it, and take plenty of pictures!

Best of Luck!
    Yeah, that too! Well said.

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I am looking to step up the conversion on 2930, now that it's (mostly) running.

If you want to collaborate, please get in touch with me. I'm trying to avoid the drama of the various commercial builders, and just have fun sharing info with friends and hobbyists.

I'm just getting started, but hopefully can have the exterior of my car looking nice over the next year or two.

--buddy

Thanks guys. I know there are many "purists" of the DeLorean and I completely respect that. I've kept my DeLorean completely stock since the day I got it (minus some little upgrades to keep her running in top shape). It definitely was not an easy decision. I contemplated doing it for probably the better part of two years.

I even thought about keeping my DeLorean "original" and purchasing another one to fix up and convert, but then I realized I wanted a good running D to convert and already had one.

I don't have any kids yet, so maybe the next savings account will be for a D that I can restore and bring back to life. There's actually one by my work that has been sitting in a warehouse for some time now...oh man...the wife is not going to like this.

As for Buddy, I'll be happy to share any knowledge I obtain. But also, check out the website I made for the DeLorean. www.mylasthomepage.com/delorean The last tab contains websites on converting your delorean. I actually own the host website (www.mylasthomepage.com) Its a free site where people can sign up and create their own website with their own favorite links.

Just don't give any money to the 'pros' and you'll be fine.

If you buy something from any of them, the proverbial waste will be propelled outward by the dyson air mover. These guys seriously can't get along.

--buddy

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmycxc View Post

I should be getting it back in time for Christmas. As far as I know, it will be the only one in the Northeast, but curious to see if anyone else has one in the area.
    Does this mean that you have sent it to someone?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Yes, it is in Texas being converted as we speak. I've read all the posts on most of the boards about the bickering that went on/is going on. After speaking with them, I felt most comfortable with VB. I've been in constant communication with him and everything is going smoothly.

I hope you are happy with his work.

--buddy

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast