FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Planning some upgrades

My VIN:    11596

Planning some upgrades

Hey guys,

I'm planning my frame-off resto for this fall. I will probably do some mild upgrades while I'm in there. I already have the stage 1 system. I have an Accel super-stock coil with stock wires and plugs.

What gains, if any, would there be from the Nology ignition wire upgrade? I've heard mixed results but it's been quite a while since I heard anything. Is it worth the money?

What are the options these days with cams? I think Steger had cams at Pheasant Run - that was the first time I heard of them being available. What kind of HP gains do you get? What's the accelleration like? Any problems with them?

Who else sells cams, and what are they like?

I know some of you are going EFI but I dont' think I'm ready for that jump yet. I know of like K-Jet, actually.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    06960

Dont get the Nology. In fact, I would give you the set I removed from my car, but two of the plugs are damaged so don't bother.

Since the engine will be removed from the body/frame, now is an excellent time to install cams. And since you already have a Stage I exhaust, you'll see the most gains from them. For a pretty mild investment, its a good improvement. I'd do it. Steger sells them, and thats who you'll want to get them from. DPI has their own, but only as a shop install, and the DMCEu ones (what I have) are a little more tuned for other modifications you wont be doing to the engine.

Keeping K-Jet will be fine, and I know quite a few tweaks you can do to get the most out of it.

Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Keeping K-Jet will be fine, and I know quite a few tweaks you can do to get the most out of it.

Jim Reeve
    DMC6960
    Please Share?

My VIN:    11596

Probably talking about the 'eliminating the lambda sensor' trick. There is a way to tune the system so that the O2 sensor isn't used anymore and it will run pretty well with no more seeking. I think Knut Grimsrud shared it on the DML years back. Probably not good for emissions for gas mileage, but it can be done and will yield some extra power.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City