FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Continued Hunt for an A/T Delorean

My VIN:    781

Exclamation The Continued Hunt for an A/T Delorean

Hey everyone,

You may remember I had a thread up in the old message board about my search for an Automatic Delorean. I was trying to feel out the marketplace and see what was around (which, as you can guess from the title of this thread, was not much within my range). Now I'm back with renewed sense of purpose in my cause (not that I've stopped looking in the meantime but just that I haven't really been on this board doing so).

My "Dream Car" would be solid grey or black interior and have a windshield-based or rear antenna. It would also, of course, be an automatic (that part is REQUIRED). Without giving an exact number my price range is on the lower end of the spectrum (i.e. a running, but far from perfect/show, car). I'm in the South East but distance isn't too much of an issue if it is the right car.

I've been keeping my eyes on Ebay and Craigs but so far not much as turned up in my price/requirements. Perhaps some of you might know of some other good sites or maybe even some cars that are for sale that I've just not been able to find. I appreciate any and all help I can receive while on this, sometimes daunting, task of finding the perfect Delorean.

Thanks so much you guys!

Keep searching this forum little more often. This looks like a good candidate but I think is already sold: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?21...0-miles-on-it.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleZeroFilms View Post
    Hey everyone,

You may remember I had a thread up in the old message board about my search for an Automatic Delorean. I was trying to feel out the marketplace and see what was around (which, as you can guess from the title of this thread, was not much within my range). Now I'm back with renewed sense of purpose in my cause (not that I've stopped looking in the meantime but just that I haven't really been on this board doing so).

My "Dream Car" would be solid grey or black interior and have a windshield-based or rear antenna. It would also, of course, be an automatic (that part is REQUIRED). Without giving an exact number my price range is on the lower end of the spectrum (i.e. a running, but far from perfect/show, car). I'm in the South East but distance isn't too much of an issue if it is the right car.

I've been keeping my eyes on Ebay and Craigs but so far not much as turned up in my price/requirements. Perhaps some of you might know of some other good sites or maybe even some cars that are for sale that I've just not been able to find. I appreciate any and all help I can receive while on this, sometimes daunting, task of finding the perfect Delorean.

Thanks so much you guys!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

A ballpark figure would be most helpful.
    Or, if you run across a sound manual for a bargin, I'd be interested in a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    A ballpark figure would be most helpful.
    Or, if you run across a sound manual for a bargin, I'd be interested in a trade.
    Ballpark is around 11-14k. Of course, as time goes by that figure steadily increases. As I said, I'm not really looking for a show car or even a daily driver - just a running automatic D that fits the bill. All the other stuff/repairs can be done as time and money allows.

As for a trade I'd need to know more about your car as well as have it be a done deal before I'd pick up a manual (as it's certainly not something I'd want for myself).

I see wanting to have everything set up first...and finding a running D needing some TLC in that range (depending on the trade-offs you are willing to accept). As for my D, it is an 81, auto, black interior, low VIN, flap and grove hood, windshield antenna, clock, with 31K mileage. Everything works and it runs and drives great. I've done all of the updates, replaced the usual wear items (including trans clutch kit, brakes, door seals, DMCH seat leathers, hoses, ect, etc). It could use new sun visors and another dash pad (but not ugly/worth changing out yet according to the reviews I read...), and, my painter to get his act together (everything but shooting it is done). I think it would be fair to say its value was closer to the other end of the spectrum, but, a lot of people are selling off their toys these days so keep looking!
    I guess I should mention the (arguable) 25K Rule (Price of used D + cost to make it reliable and presentable = $25K).

+1 on checking here often...many post there D here and most of the others are reported here by the members.
    Last edited by Ron; 12-23-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Have you checked here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/BuyNSell/dmcforsale.html

The posts are older, but it doesn't mean they have been sold.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    a lot of people are selling off their toys these days so keep looking!
    +1 on checking here often...many post there D here and most of the others are reported here by the members.
    That's what I'm hoping for. The way the economy is right now people are more inclined to relieve themselves of their "luxury" items at a lower price. But it really all depends on the person and the condition. But I'm in no rush (as I said I've been looking for quite some time) as this is something worth getting right.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Have you checked here:

http://www.dmcnews.com/BuyNSell/dmcforsale.html

The posts are older, but it doesn't mean they have been sold.
    I have actually checked there before. Sadly, most of the D's there that fall into my price range are manuals. The few auto's they do have are much closer to the high-end than I can currently afford.

My VIN:    5311

I'm curious as to the reasoning behind being so vehemently against getting a car with a manual transmission. What's the deal there?

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    I'm curious as to the reasoning behind being so vehemently against getting a car with a manual transmission. What's the deal there?
    It's the same reason someone wants a Delorean instead of a GTO - personal preference. I just don't care for manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleZeroFilms View Post
    It's the same reason someone wants a Delorean instead of a GTO - personal preference. I just don't care for manuals.
    And then there are those who can't make up their mind which "DeLorean" they want...so they keep all three.

3Ds2.jpg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast