FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 85 of 188 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 185 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Delorean Comment Of the Day

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Nick, I just saw this old posting, sorry for the delay in responding...

Special Relativity suggests that we travel through space-time at a constant speed, C (popularly known as the speed of light). If you are moving through the space dimensions at a very high speed, say very close to C, then your speed through the corresponding time dimension approaches zero, that is time slows (for you). For those of us (actually all of us) travelling through the three space dimensions at only a very tiny fraction of C (say walking or driving), then we are also traveling through the time dimension at nearly the full value of C. It gets confusing because we normally associate of speed with physical distance, whereas relativity says that space-time is the 'distance' we should be measuring. In everyday life of course we never travel fast enough to notice time slowing down - although it does feel like it at work on a Friday afternoon**.

So... at driving speed you are traveling into the future (of space-time) at (just a tiny fraction below) the speed of light (C), thus my statement "Technically you are going to travel into the future at the speed of light."

I'm not sure anyone really understands what C is yet other than the ultimate speed limit, the speed limit in space-time (not just space). Science only got this far because the mathematics works and all the evidence collected suggests that space-time and C give 100% correct predictions.

** You never feel as if your clock has slowed down (when you travel near the speed of light)... you experience what feels like the constant progress of time and only notice that you are running slower when you compare your clock to someone else's clock, and they were traveling slower through space than you. At the limit (C), when a photo strikes another particle, it would experience (if it could experience) an instantaneous aging of the universe around it and a very large displacement in its position in space. It would be like "whoa, WTH just happened!". If a spaceship could travel at near C with people on board to observe, they would see the aging of the Universe speed up around them.
    Hit me again...

So if I piss off the bridge of the Enterprise going warp 8, who get's wet and when?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

If you piss off the bridge of the Enterprise D, Worf will shoot you with his phaser.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Hit me again...

So if I piss off the bridge of the Enterprise going warp 8, who get's wet and when?
    That's made me laugh out loud. The wife didn't get it
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    16882.

So I'm standing by my D at Cars & Coffee this morning.
    Random dude: Where'd you find it?
    Me: Close by. I waited until one was available close because I preferred not to travel.
    Random Dude: I understand. That's what I do, I travel and buy cars all the time. You know, they had a really hard time selling the white DeLoreans, hardly anyone wanted a white one.
    Me: Can't say that I've see a white one before.

LOL!

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    Me: Can't say that I've see a white one before.
    Well... That is cause: "hardly anyone wanted a white one".

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
    Random Dude: You know, they had a really hard time selling the white DeLoreans, hardly anyone wanted a white one.
    LOL!
    I can't understand why more white ones weren't made either.
    They look quite nice to me...

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

The following exchange happened to me about 2 years ago. I thought of this the other day and I don't think I have ever mentioned it but here it is:

I waked into a beverage store to pick up a bottle of my favorite wine, as I was paying a girl walked in and was asking about my DeLorean parked outside, she was obviously very excited to see it and went on how nice it was. Before I could even say "Thank you" the guy behind the counter rolled his eyes and said "It's just a DeLorean" She ignored him and so did I. At the door I talked to her for a few seconds answering a question she had when he popped off again in a raised and aggravated voices "I don't know what the big deal is, you can buy them brand new for 25 thousand" He probably saw the Modern marvels segment. At the time it the segment was filmed, a refurb cost around 45k, and James was quoted as saying a good one will run you around 25k..so he probably got the numbers mixed up. I cocked my head and said it's more like 57k for a remanufactured car(which was the current price of a refurb at DMCH at the time). He then got really defensive saying "Yeahh, maybe with options..." I didn't even listen to the rest, I exited while he was still talking. He was probably one of 2 or 3 people that I have had see a DeLorean and left the encounter in a worse mood than they were in before they saw it.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by refugeefromcalif View Post
    I can't understand why more white ones weren't made either.
    They look quite nice to me...

George
    Yes real nice.
    Attached Images
    Barry

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Yes real nice.

I don't see a white DeLorean here, I see an Abomonation.

I'd rather see someone take a Nice D, and make a Time Machine replica out of it than that.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Last Tuesday I went to a car show, and right at the very end I had the most misinformed guy I've talked to up to this point. He looks at my engine bay and asks "Is this one of the four-cylinder models?" At this point I'm wondering why he asked instead of, you know, counting, but I told him "No, it's a six-cylinder". Then he asks "Oh, so it's one of those new ones?" "Nope, original engine". He gives me a confused look, so I continued "they all came with six cylinders". "Oh, so the new ones are eight cylinders then?" At this point I'm having a confused look trying to figure out what he's talking about and wondering where he's getting his information from. Then he says "I saw a special on the Discovery channel. They're making new ones down in, uh" "Houston." "Yeah, Houston" Then we start discussing the Stage 2 setup.

After that, he mentioned the supercharger (Stage 3) setup and how they haven't started producing that one yet, so he at least got that part. Frankly, I don't know if Stage 3 is being sold yet or not, but when one of these guys tells me they're making "new ones" in Houston, or that they have "all new parts" in Houston (both of which I got as well), I just continue the conversation as if they're correct, rather than taking the time to explain the whole "remanufactured" thing. They know the general idea, so I like to find out what else they know about the car, or what other questions they have, rather than being particular about how they say it. They're probably going to walk away and never have to use that information again, so it's mostly a moot point to explain to everyone who gets it wrong.

Interestingly, right before I left (after this guy), I had someone in a real thick accent who obviously spoke English as second language come up to me and ask "England?", so I said "Yes", knowing the language barrier would leave him confused if I tried to explain it was designed by an English company, made in Ireland, sold in the States, and largely funded by England. It's two out of four, close enough in my mind. Then he looked at the car some more and walked away. Suddenly I was able to place the accent -- it was Irish! This guy may very well have been living in Ireland when it was produced!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    "I don't know what the big deal is, you can buy them brand new for 25 thousand"
    Considering where he's working, this is the point where I would've been a dick back to him and said "Yeah, but it's more than you make in a year, right?" Ah, the many perks of having a college degree....

Page 85 of 188 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 185 ... LastLast