FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: For Sale Threads: Rules of Engagement

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Say what you want, but I think it is ethically wrong, to jump in and snap up something someone else is requesting when the part meets your needs/price requirement.

If forum rules are going to be changed, I think a rule should be added to prevent Josh from sniping purchases from other people.

The original poster of a parts request needs to be given a fair chance to purchase something that is offered as a reply to his/her request.
    The only rule possible will be for owners with the part requested to contact the owner privately and not in the thread. You mean to tell me by starting a thread on this open forum that gives you the first right of refusal to purchase an available part? No that just lets everyone that might have it know that you are in the market. Who ever has the means to buy it being me or anyone else on here can purchase anything when ever they want regardless of who first asks for it. Tell me how this could ever be regulated on here.......

"Wait I need a frame or blank part too. But they obviously need it more then me so I guess I don't need one that bad" I'm sure everyone on here thinks exactly like that when it comes to their car being on the road.

I could care less about this. But you are right in one regard we are at the advantage when ever something comes up for sale. We are willing to trade parts and services from our vast inventory and this appeals to a lot of sellers.
    Last edited by Delorean Industries; 01-16-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Tell me how this could ever be regulated on here.......
    Nothing can be truely regulated unless Sean puts everyone on timeout. Honestly, things should just be left alone.

But it breaks my heart when some poor dude on a limited budget posts a want ad because he/she can't afford to buy from a vendor.

Someone responds, saying, I have the part you need and can sell it to you for less than a vendor. Then a vendor with an unlimited bankroll of money chimes in and says, I'm paying first and I want it now.

Next the poor guy who just wanted a deal on a part is forced to goto the vendor to buy what he was originally trying to purchase.

Honestly, it makes you look like an ass.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Nothing can be truely regulated unless Sean puts everyone on timeout. Honestly, things should just be left alone.

But it breaks my heart when some poor dude on a limited budget posts a want ad because he/she can't afford to buy from a vendor.

Someone responds, saying, I have the part you need and can sell it to you for less than a vendor. Then a vendor with an unlimited bankroll of money chimes in and says, I'm paying first and I want it now.

Next the poor guy who just wanted a deal on a part is forced to goto the vendor to buy what he was originally trying to purchase.

Honestly, it makes you look like an ass.
    No one is looking like an ass when we are fighting among ourselves over rare parts.... Frames are not available from vendors so your posted situation does not apply. You do not see any stepping in when someone wants a 12 dollar muffler bushing used. Its only on the hard to get rare components. The little guy is not being "squeezed".
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

I like the requirement for posting a price and a picture when it's appropriate. Also like the idea of a minimum post number before posting anything for sale. Gotta watch that one because people will just post some nonsense like repeatedly posting "n/m" 20 times to get unlocked. Saw that happened on another forum once and was never enforced. So maybe in order to be able to post in there you have to PM an moderator first, they check your activity, then you get unlocked.

Not sure about the post bumping. Sometimes things get stale, and a post that's 6 months old you might question if it's still available or wanted. Maybe a rule where all posts automatically get locked after 90 days (or whenever) and if you still want it advertised, you repost.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    No one is looking like an ass when we are fighting among ourselves over rare parts.... Frames are not available from vendors so your posted situation does not apply. You do not see any stepping in when someone wants a 12 dollar muffler bushing used. Its only on the hard to get rare components. The little guy is not being "squeezed".
    I am not arguing or fighting. You have admitted before that you are stockpiling parts. You have jumped in countless times and cut out the little guy so you can buy stuff dirt cheap, hold on to it, and resell it for a profit. There is no denying that.

There is nothing wrong with that, but if someone responds to another person's thread saying, "Yeah man, I've got what you need", then you shouldn't instantly chime in saying I'll buy it before even giving the little guy a chance to read the response.

Why don't you just post a thousand, "I want this part", in the wanted forum, and let people come to you?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Over on the Jeep forum there is a minimum number of posts you need to make before you can sell something. Though I don't think you need to enforce 20 posts first, it would be nice if they had to say hi on the introductions thread.

There was a few sellers from ebay just posting stuff on here with no intention of being part of a community. That just clutters things up.

How about making it mandatory to drive a delorean before starting an engine swap thread?! Kidding, kidding.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I would agree with the "must post a price/OBO" rule.
    I appreciate that many have a good idea what a used part should sell for however, I have seen a few postings that just say "make an offer."
    Now I am forced to guess based on what a new one or NOS one costs from a vendor and what I would like to pay for it. And, I have to weigh that against not wanting to offend someone.

Make an offer means I can offer anything I want, right? So if I offer $150 for your left front fender you shouldn't be offended but still...
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

This is now bordering on religious/political thread. Capitalism rules this country. If you post in an OPEN forum, ALL should be allowed to participate. There is no "I got there first" or "no tag backs" like in grade school.

The moral integrity of Sam seller cannot be legislated. If Larry little guy makes an offer for something that is acceptable to Sam seller before Bob big guy jumps in, the MORALS of Sam seller should dictate, not the admins of this site.

Hence the concept of PRIVATE messages.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    This is now bordering on religious/political thread. Capitalism rules this country. If you post in an OPEN forum, ALL should be allowed to participate. There is no "I got there first" or "no tag backs" like in grade school.

The moral integrity of Sam seller cannot be legislated. If Larry little guy makes an offer for something that is acceptable to Sam seller before Bob big guy jumps in, the MORALS of Sam seller should dictate, not the admins of this site.

Hence the concept of PRIVATE messages.

AND:
    - I'd hate to miss out because someone didn't want to go through a bunch of BS to post a part someone needed.
    - If someone post a part and we don't here from them again - GOOD (it will push to the bottom, never to be seen again anyway.)
    -As for vultures and snipes...we all (should) know the signs...and Steve will point them out anyway! (seriously)
    Last edited by Ron; 01-16-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    As for vultures and snipes...we all (should) know the signs...and Steve will point them out anyway! (seriously)
    I'll be monitoring Josh very closely from now on.

Disclaimer: I still think Josh is a cool guy. If I ever win the lottery I'm driving 16510 straight to Ohio.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast