FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Alternator alternatives

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Alternator alternatives

Gonna re-post this since I got no response on the first atempt.

Still sporting the Duc but at idle under load my voltage reading on the dash is plummeting dangerously low.

Thinking about going the route of the Special-T replacement instead of the Motorola.

Anybody have any experience with it - recomendations - things to watch out for.

Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    Gonna re-post this since I got no response on the first atempt.

Still sporting the Duc but at idle under load my voltage reading on the dash is plummeting dangerously low.

Thinking about going the route of the Special-T replacement instead of the Motorola.

Anybody have any experience with it - recomendations - things to watch out for.

Steven
    My 110 amp from John is still going strong after 5 years. But I did have to tighten the three bolts that hold the two halves together. A friend had one that had a noise. John replaced the unit no problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

+1 on John's 110. Very happy with it. Keep in mind you'll need a shorter than stock V belt with it installed at tuneups. John includes one with the alternator. Be sure your battery is fully charged off the car before putting the new alt in or you may fry the regulator trying to charge it. That happened to me - John clucked his tongue, reminded me that he had warned me about exactly that, and fixed the alt anyway.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I have a special T stock Motorola replacement (90-97amp) works really well in conjunction with my optima yellow top. No issues at all and I've had this setup now for a year and a half. Highly recommend john's alternators.

I also have a used 140 DMCH unit if your interested. You would just need to purchase the wire for the 3 prong connector.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

+1 on John Hervey's 110A alternator.

IMHO 140A is a bit overkill for our car. That one seems to not provide sufficient charge on low speeds.
    Unless you have a heavy load on the electrical system, stick with the 110A (it has about 37 percent more max charge over a standard D (80A) alternator.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I think you need to consider a few things before replacing the alternator:

First, test your current alternator off the car.
    Second, realize the factory dash gauge is sometimes not very accurate. The only way to know for sure is to use a multi-meter
    Third, it's been said before, make sure your grounds are clean. Although the alternator may be grounded fine, you could have something else with a bad ground that when on, will kill your charge rate. Say if your aux. fan is not grounded well on your frame extension, when it engages, you will see your volt meter drop a lot more than it should.

Now I would still replace the factory alternator simply due to it's age and history. Just to plug, DMC makes a fine 90A that I have had no problems with(and I have Hervey's 110A in my garage collecting dust if that tells you anything)
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD06996

Club(s):   (DMA)

I'm not sure what your budget situation is, but there are crossovers for the alternator.

I believe these will fit with a pulley change and adding washers to line it up properly. If anyone can expand on this, please feels free. I'll probably go that way if I ever experience alternator failure. Not knocking the vendors, but I like bargains whenever I can get them. Plus the lifetime warantee seems more my style, even if the odds of it being needed may be higher than a vender alternator.

Champion 74-1502, Velo, 9AR, Excel: 14324, Delco: 21020854, Delco: CS130 (1991-1994 Saturn)

Like I said, I'm not sure what your budget situation is, but it's nice to have options..

I honestly LOVE my Duralast Starter for the 3.0 Eagle Premier...
    "He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
    - William Shakespeare

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Delco: CS130 (1991-1994 Saturn) Requires some minor modifications for mounting it. Somebody posted photo's on the old .COM site.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    2565

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post

I also have a used 140 DMCH unit if your interested. You would just need to purchase the wire for the 3 prong connector.
    How much are you asking for the alternator?

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Delco: CS130 (1991-1994 Saturn) Requires some minor modifications for mounting it. Somebody posted photo's on the old .COM site.
    I'd like to see this too. My Ducy is still working just fine - makes enough amps & volts, so long as I don't roll around with the AC on full, lights wipers, radio and defrost all running at once. At maximum load it does start to draw from the battery. It's somewhat baffling that they installed an alternator without the necessary capacity to run all the standard accessories.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast