FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car feels unstable at speed

My VIN:    5780

Car feels unstable at speed

I was driving on the highway today, and I noticed that at around 55-60 mph, the car feels a little shaky -- almost like it's difficult to keep it going in a straight line. I feel a slight wobble in the steering wheel, and even with two hands on the wheel, I felt like I had a hard time keeping the car going straight.

What issues could cause something like this?

On a somewhat related question, would lowering the car (my car has stock suspension) make a stable car unstable or improve stability?

My VIN:    03572

Not enough toe in can cause this. But that would not affect shaking.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by orbitron3000 View Post
    I was driving on the highway today, and I noticed that at around 55-60 mph, the car feels a little shaky -- almost like it's difficult to keep it going in a straight line. I feel a slight wobble in the steering wheel, and even with two hands on the wheel, I felt like I had a hard time keeping the car going straight.

What issues could cause something like this?

On a somewhat related question, would lowering the car (my car has stock suspension) make a stable car unstable or improve stability?
    You need to get that car on a lift ASAP and inspect every bushing, control arm, mount, TAB, tie rod, and anything else that moves....and do it soon. I don't know if I would even drive it to an inspection point, towing would not be a bad idea.
    Last edited by Michael; 04-25-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    5780

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You need to get that car on a lift ASAP and inspect every bushing, control arm, mount, TAB, tie rod, and anything else that moves....and do it soon. I don't know if I would even drive it to an inspection point, towing would not be a bad idea.
    Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for? Breakages? Loose things? etc?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by orbitron3000 View Post
    Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for? Breakages? Loose things? etc?
    I would first check ball joint play, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, steering rack, and I'm sure a few other things will come to mind. The main thing is you find the problem, so look(or have a technician look) until you find it. It could very well be something about to let go and if you are at speed when a tie rod or a ball joint breaks it will not end well.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

One thing you can do immediately is to check the tires. Make sure the lug nuts are tight, you have the correct pressures, and the tires look OK. If they are over 10 years old replace them. Next would be to get on a lift and look for worn, loose, bent, broken parts while you lubricate and inspect. Also check the rear suspension, particularly the TABS. As mentioned, this is a BIG warning sign, the car should not be driven much till you can figure out how dangerous this is. Lowering a car could make it unstable.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I would first check ball joint play, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, steering rack, and I'm sure a few other things will come to mind. The main thing is you find the problem, so look(or have a technician look) until you find it. It could very well be something about to let go and if you are at speed when a tie rod or a ball joint breaks it will not end well.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

While caution is always a good path, I wouldn't overreact.

My car does the same thing but I have noticed it is intermittent. The steering wheel wobbles a little and the car will sway a little from time to time but it doesn't happen all the time.

I have heard the wobbling is not uncommon - could mean that the the tires need to be balance and have the toe-in checked.

As far as the hard to control... Does it happen everywhere you drive and get up to 55-60 mph? Only on certain roads? It may not be the car at all. I have found that the ruts worn into some interstates and highways from heavy traffic will cause my car to act just like you described. I attribute it to the road ruts because if I drive on a newly resurfaced highway all the shaking and swerving goes away.

Of course it all depends on what you mean by hard to control... If you really have to fight to keep in a straight line be concerned. If its just the occasional car has a mind f its own sensation search out a clean stretch of resurfaced highway and see how it feels there.

BTW - I just had my TABs replaced at DMCNW and they did an underbody inspection at the same time... They found no obvious items of concern with my suspension or steering.

That all being said, your milage may vary so take my words as a suggestion only. I don't want your wheels coming off at speed.

Cheers.
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    Ex vin 6064

Club(s):   (DCH)

Get your front wheels balanced

My VIN:    15275

my car did this forever till recently..

my car used to have the steering wheel vibration at speed until recently even with all new suspension stuff... i just actually replaced the front sway bar bushings with tobys kit and now the car drives perfectly stable.. no more steering vibration at all!!! Dave.

My VIN:    3028

Before doing any major surgery check that your wheels are balanced and the alignment is good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast