FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Car feels unstable at speed

I second the balancing. Had my alignment done thinking that was the problem, would happen at around 55-60. Everything checked out a-ok. First thing the mechanic said was get tires balanced. Sure enough, fixed the problem!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

An out of balance tire will not cause the symptoms as you described....unless you have thrown a weight and they are REALLY out...and even then it will cause a heavy vibrating(and usually only at certain speeds). If it's JUST a vibration then I would say check for missing weights....BUT if it's as you say and it's hard to keep in a straight line and under control, then you should read my original reply and better think twice before driving it any more before diagnosing the problem.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    5780

Now that you mention it, it really was only on one road. Driving back, I took a different route, and didn't notice really any symptoms, despite traveling roughly the same speeds. The vibrations I feel are very slight -- something similar to maybe using a power drill. I do remember it also being quite windy the day I noticed the wobbliness, so that could have caused the "car having a mind of its own" symptom. Nonetheless, I do feel that it would behoove me to get the tires balanced and check the toe and camber. I will eventually replace the suspension because the front driver side shock/spring (I'm still very new to knowing what is causing what on cars) groans when I load and unload it -- I hear a groan when I exit the car.

On a side note, does anyone know of or can recommend any reputable shops that can handle such repairs in the northern virginia area? I'm a little paranoid about taking to just any ol' service station.

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by orbitron3000 View Post
    Now that you mention it, it really was only on one road. Driving back, I took a different route, and didn't notice really any symptoms, despite traveling roughly the same speeds. The vibrations I feel are very slight -- something similar to maybe using a power drill. I do remember it also being quite windy the day I noticed the wobbliness, so that could have caused the "car having a mind of its own" symptom. Nonetheless, I do feel that it would behoove me to get the tires balanced and check the toe and camber. I will eventually replace the suspension because the front driver side shock/spring (I'm still very new to knowing what is causing what on cars) groans when I load and unload it -- I hear a groan when I exit the car.

On a side note, does anyone know of or can recommend any reputable shops that can handle such repairs in the northern virginia area? I'm a little paranoid about taking to just any ol' service station.
    I recall hearing once before that Firestone shops have the data for toe and camber in their systems. I could be wrong though... The little grey cells are not what they used to... where was I?

Cheers.
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    5780

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I recall hearing once before that Firestone shops have the data for toe and camber in their systems. I could be wrong though... The little grey cells are not what they used to... where was I?

Cheers.
    Steve
    Haha they do say the mind is the first to go :-P

Anyway, the toe and camber should be somewhere in the shop manual, shouldn't it?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2