FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Member Introduction and Questions

My VIN:    2410

New Member Introduction and Questions

Hi all –

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Antonio. I live in Westchester, NY. I am new to this website and forum. I have never really been a “car guy.” I don’t even own a car...I take the train to work. However, for as long as I can remember (probably from the first time I watched BTTF) when someone would ask me, “what kind of car do you want,” I would quickly and without hesitation say, “a Delorean.” For years, though, that was the end of the conversation. I was in school, had no money, and no credit. Thus, I went about my Delorean-less life year after year.

Now, I’m 33-years-old, have a job, and have saved up money. I feel like it’s now or never. So, I would like to buy a Delorean six months from now (how many times have you heard that?). I have my reasons for waiting six months. I won’t get into all those now, but I will have access to a bit more money at that time.

A few other things about me: I know how to check the oil in a car, add gas when required, and change a tire. That is all. I really have no desire to
    work on a car either. I figure I will leave that to the professionals. I realize that this will make repairs quite a bit more expensive, but I accept that responsibility.

Budget: I would like to spend enough that I get a Delorean that never breaks down or requires any maintenance of any kind for the rest of my life (Joking). I am looking for a car that is in good shape, that I can drive on the weekends, and take on trips.

Now for the questions: How much should I spend? Should I bring someone to do an inspection on the car before buying it? Where would I find this person? Would you guys be able to provide feedback based on the photographs? What are the best websites to look for the car? Did most of you buy your car outright or with financing? Are there any good places in New York to take the car for maintenance?

I look forward to being part of this great Community!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

The answers to a lot of your questions are HERE.

As far a feedback on photographs, let's just say you came to the right place!

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Welcome! Ron sent you a great link, read it and you can't go wrong. Remember to accept that these are finicky cars with personalities as unique as the people who own them. Every car is different. They really are a blast to work on, so if you were ever going to try and learn this would be a great car to do it on. They are complicated enough that you'll learn about some modern systems, but basic/"first generation" enough to be something you can get your head around. Parts are plentiful, and let's face it - these cars were made by hand in the first place, so there's very little that a human can't fix by hand as well.

You're barely 2 hours from PJ Grady, one of the most respected in the business. But you'll pay for that privilege and might learn quickly to try and tackle the little things yourself first when it comes to repairs. But they will be an invaluable resource for parts, knowledge, major service, and hell - probably a good place to start shopping for your car.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    You're barely 2 hours from PJ Grady, one of the most respected in the business. But you'll pay for that privilege and might learn quickly to try and tackle the little things yourself first when it comes to repairs. But they will be an invaluable resource for parts, knowledge, major service, and hell - probably a good place to start shopping for your car.
    +1

The first thing I would do is take a trip to PJ Grady and take a nice tour of their facility. If you're going to own a DeLorean and have repairs and maintenance done professionally, Grady is definitely your best bet. I'm sure they can also give you a VERY good idea of what to expect, as well as help you locate your car!

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    +1

The first thing I would do is take a trip to PJ Grady and take a nice tour of their facility. If you're going to own a DeLorean and have repairs and maintenance done professionally, Grady is definitely your best bet. I'm sure they can also give you a VERY good idea of what to expect, as well as help you locate your car!
    I was going to say PJ Grady but it looks like someone beat me to it. Grady is a person you can trust and has been servicing these cars from day one. If you are planning to have someone do all of the work for you, and you want a turn key car, in my opinion he would be the only person to deal with as long as you are reasonably close to him.

I almost bought an eBay car once, and Rob Grady was kind enough to tell me the vehicles history (it had been in a collision) free of charge. If you can afford it, buy a car from him.

My VIN:    2410

Thanks guys. I am going to take a trip up to PJ Grady in the next week or two, take the tour, and ask a million and one questions. I see that so many of the cars on sale now on different websites are closer to 30K than 20K. Have the prices went up? Should I be looking to spend around 30K for a good daily driver? (not that I'm going to drive it everyday, but it would be nice that it starts on a daily basis)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You should come to DMA events (the nearest club) and look at the cars up close and ask a million questions. As helpful as PJ Grady will be he can't spend as much time with you as you will need. There are also owners a lot closer to you than Rob. I am in NJ near the TZ bridge for instance. There are at least 6 owners within 20 minutes of me. You can still find a driver for $15K but you wouldn't know the difference between a POS and a garage queen. You have a lot to learn. Everyone on this forum is here to help.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by tony32408 View Post
    Thanks guys. I am going to take a trip up to PJ Grady in the next week or two, take the tour, and ask a million and one questions. I see that so many of the cars on sale now on different websites are closer to 30K than 20K. Have the prices went up? Should I be looking to spend around 30K for a good daily driver? (not that I'm going to drive it everyday, but it would be nice that it starts on a daily basis)

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You should come to DMA events (the nearest club) and look at the cars up close and ask a million questions. As helpful as PJ Grady will be he can't spend as much time with you as you will need. There are also owners a lot closer to you than Rob. I am in NJ near the TZ bridge for instance. There are at least 6 owners within 20 minutes of me. You can still find a driver for $15K but you wouldn't know the difference between a POS and a garage queen. You have a lot to learn. Everyone on this forum is here to help.
    David Teitelbaum
    Yeah, what he said! Seriously though, the only way you're going to learn about Deloreans is through people like Grady and through other Delorean owners. There is no way Grady can instill everything you'll need to know to make an educated purchase in one visit. Your best bet is to also talk to other Delorean owners, check out some events so you can view the cars up close and in person, and browse the forums pretty regularly, as a lot of insightful knowledge is posted here on a daily basis as well.

You're very lucky though, the NY/NJ area has some of the most knowledgable and helpful owners that you'll find anywhere. Good luck with the search.

My VIN:    3004

Club(s):   (DCF)

I grew up in Westchester. Back in high school I used to pretend my car was a D and take some of those back roads at over 88 mph.

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeli View Post
    I grew up in Westchester. Back in high school I used to pretend my car was a D and take some of those back roads at over 88 mph.
    I got my first ticket doing this, although I wasn't pretending I was in a DeLorean. I just wanted to see what 88 felt like.

As soon as I hit 88 I was done, so I stopped and turned around to head back home. Didn't notice the cop behind me until halfway through my U-Turn. After he stopped me he asked me if I was trying to get away from him. Clocked me at 84.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast