FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Member Introduction and Questions

My VIN:    4496

Finally home from the shop

Hello all,

My name is Eric and I live in Littleton am I just got the D back from the mechanic today. They did a great job but I just ran out of money so I brought her back to the house. I just got her to pass emission at the southwest station in case anyone saw me driving around today. Wow I knew it would create some attention but wow. It is like you are driving a space-shuttle down the street. Everyone is rubber necking out their cars, I find it quite amusing I got a whole list of things I still need to do but at-least she is running and passed emissions so I can get permanent plates; (odatime)I could not resist. Looking forward to driving it again and meeting up with some other members that might be able to point me in the right direction with parts and problems.

Thanks

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ecbow View Post
    Hello all,

My name is Eric and I live in Littleton am I just got the D back from the mechanic today. They did a great job but I just ran out of money so I brought her back to the house. I just got her to pass emission at the southwest station in case anyone saw me driving around today. Wow I knew it would create some attention but wow. It is like you are driving a space-shuttle down the street. Everyone is rubber necking out their cars, I find it quite amusing I got a whole list of things I still need to do but at-least she is running and passed emissions so I can get permanent plates; (odatime)I could not resist. Looking forward to driving it again and meeting up with some other members that might be able to point me in the right direction with parts and problems.

Thanks
    Welcome.

What's left to do on your car?

Everything

Here is the list I have compiled from the mechanic and personal knowledge;
    -Hood release cable replacement
    -Head liners
    -Replace all relays (felt wires after first drive they were very hot)
    -replace side maker lights
    -Alignment
    -Gas tank sender unit
    -Speed cable
    -Radio
    -Power antenna no
    -coolant lines
    -much much more

Eric

Ah okay, doesn't look to be anything massively difficult. Much of that you'll be able to do on your own with no problem. (Except for the speedo cable if the upper one is shot or if you have a single cable bypassing the lambda counter. Getting behind the binnacle can be a pain. The headliners apparently aren't fun either.)

As for your fuel sender, I would recommend the new sender-pump combo from DMCMW even if nothing is wrong with your pump.

Fuel pump sender

Have you actually purchased and installed one of these units. They seem to be pretty expensive at $400. Also you now the best place to look for replacement relays? Last question is why can't I get that stainless to shine? I have tried stainless cleaner but I think i must be using the wrong type, or the wrong method. When i get done cleaning her she just looks like she has a fog layer on her.

My VIN:    11596

Have you actually purchased and installed one of these units. They seem to be pretty expensive at $400. Also you now the best place to look for replacement relays? Last question is why can't I get that stainless to shine? I have tried stainless cleaner but I think i must be using the wrong type, or the wrong method. When i get done cleaning her she just looks like she has a fog layer on her.
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?p=54121

Cheers!
    Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Have you actually purchased and installed one of these units. They seem to be pretty expensive at $400.
    Not yet, but I'm going to. Keep in mind that this unit replaces both your fuel pump AND sender with a single unit using modern technology. Small price to pay for long-term reliability of both devices.

Also you now the best place to look for replacement relays?
    Is your only reason for replacing relays that they get hot? 30 year-old technology draws a good bit of current and high current generates heat. The relays are pretty much expected to get really hot. Unless your stuff is breaking, the only relay I would recommend you replace is your RPM relay with Dave's solid-state update. It's a lot more reliable and uses modern, solid-state components.

Last question is why can't I get that stainless to shine? I have tried stainless cleaner but I think i must be using the wrong type, or the wrong method. When i get done cleaning her she just looks like she has a fog layer on her.
    Grained stainless isn't meant to "shine" in the same sense as say, chrome. I wouldn't use anything more complicated than standard soap to clean your car's body. Liquid Tide and a good cloth followed by a thorough rinse works wonders.
    Last edited by ccurzio; 05-09-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

...why can't I get that stainless to shine? I have tried stainless cleaner but I think i must be using the wrong type, or the wrong method. When i get done cleaning her she just looks like she has a fog layer on her.
    here are a couple of threads that may interest you:

How to get your stainless to shine

Washing the DeLorean

Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

Thanks everyone:)

The best part about owning a D is this great support site and all the members. I have gotten personal emails and help from everyone. Thanks for your responses and I will replace that one relay.
    When I was driving it home I smelled burning plastic like smell so that is why I thought to replace all the relays. I just have a fear of a fire stating in it and the doors not being able to open. Cough, Cough my own free cremation service Although if you have to go it might as well be in a Delorean
    Eric

Getting hot is one thing. Burning plastic is quite another.

Check all electrical connections everywhere, especially the fuse panel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast