FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to modify the wings-a-loft system to allow for the addition of a manual switch?

Question How to modify the wings-a-loft system to allow for the addition of a manual switch?

Does anyone know how to successfully add a manual switch to the wings-a-loft system?
    I have wired up a spare power window switch and put it in place of the driver side dummy switch in the console wired to only work with the key in the ignition.

-If I connect the "up and down" connections to each of the wires going to the door actuators after the wings-a-loft relays, the doors open perfectly one by one as I press "up" or "down". However, the wireless remote function doesn't work; it acts as though it doesn't have enough power to pull on the actuators in the doors(I can hear it try-perhaps power is back-feeding to the manual switch when the remote opening switch is pressed?). This was the closest I was to getting everything to work....

-If I wire the window switch connection before the relay(tested one door setup) by tapping into the signal wire from the remotezilla box(that tells the door to open), it doesn't work at all; somehow it causes the door actuator to get constant power and keeps the door latch pulled open, even with the key out of the ignition.

I'm trying to think how else I can wire the switch so that I have the option to open the doors through a manual electical switch while inside the car and keep the wireless remote functioning when I am outside the car.

I saw that the DMC-EV car has buttons in the center console to open the driver side, passenger side, or both doors....so there has to be a way.....

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
    Josh Q
    Last edited by DeloreanJoshQ; 05-23-2012 at 01:42 PM.

My VIN:    06960

The window switches work by reversing polarity. I dont think there is a single common pin that applies the same power to either output. This may require complex wiring with diodes and an extra relay to get to work. Singular push-buttons (or two window switches) would be simpler here (like the EV). How handy are you with such things? I can draw up a schematic to use the window switch if your up to the challenge. Is the trigger pulse from the remote box (+) or (-)?
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    The window switches work by reversing polarity. I dont think there is a single common pin that applies the same power to either output. This may require complex wiring with diodes and an extra relay to get to work. Singular push-buttons (or two window switches) would be simpler here (like the EV). How handy are you with such things? I can draw up a schematic to use the window switch if your up to the challenge. Is the trigger pulse from the remote box (+) or (-)?
    I'm up for the challenge.

I know Toby asked me last year if the trigger pulse was + or - , but I forget which one it is. How do I tell? I have the lockzilla and remotezilla setup already installed from the previous owner.

Was it a fluke that I was able to open each door by pushing down or up on the power window switch?
    -I wired the switch just like a normal power window switch(tapped into hot and ground from an adjacent switch). I then ran the "up" and "down"(opposite end connectors on the switch) wires from the switch back to the wings-a-loft wiring and connected them to the wires going out to the door actuators.
    -When I look at the wiring diagram, the switch, when rocked, should send 12 volts to either end connector on the switch to the two different connectors on the power window motor from the center power connector that is 12 volt switched.
    I thought this meant that the polarity change was handled at the motor and not the switch?

The goal is to keep the interior looking stock, so that is why I was hoping to use the power window switch(with the arrows cleaned off) to open the doors. If two have to be used, that is fine, I just need another used switch. However, I need some schooling on why that works over just one.

I wondered if a diode would be required to keep electricity from going back to the switch,relay or remotezilla box.....

I would definately appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You need isolation diodes to make this work.

A diode works by making sure power only flows through it one way. With proper diodes, your window switch circuit would be able to provide +12 to the 'open' actuator for each door, but not drag it down to ground, which prevents other things from doing it.

Switch Output ------|<---------- Actuator (after the relay)

( The -|<- is a diode. You want the 'bar' on the output side of it). Toby provides these diodes with his kit, but if you need extras, you can get any 12V compatible diode and experiment with it.

--buddy

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    You need isolation diodes to make this work.

A diode works by making sure power only flows through it one way. With proper diodes, your window switch circuit would be able to provide +12 to the 'open' actuator for each door, but not drag it down to ground, which prevents other things from doing it.

Switch Output ------|<---------- Actuator (after the relay)

( The -|<- is a diode. You want the 'bar' on the output side of it). Toby provides these diodes with his kit, but if you need extras, you can get any 12V compatible diode and experiment with it.

--buddy
    How many do I need and where exactly do they need to be installed? Would radioshack have them? Are solderless versions available?

Thanks for the help!

I believe I would just use one diode at each connection point between the window switch and wings aloft wiring.....and one from each signal wire from remote zilla....that should separate them....
    Last edited by DeloreanJoshQ; 05-23-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    I believe I would just use one diode at each connection point between the window switch and wings aloft wiring.....
    That's correct.

--buddy

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Something like this? Joystick is L/R door pop and F/B lock and unlock. Window switches moved up too.
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Question

Radio shack isn't any help finding the correct diode.

Would any of you be able to tell me what type of diode to use?
    There are 312 different diodes on www.radioshack.com.....
    how would I know how to narrow down the list?

This should help: http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp

--buddy

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast